Monday, June 2, 2014

Sometimes Mommies Get Tired

My new nephew was born last week. Everyone was very excited but no one more so than his big brother, J, who is six and a half years old. He has two little sisters from his mom and step-dad. He adores his little sisters but when he found out that his dad and step-mom were giving him a brother, he was over the moon.

When I asked him if he was excited about his little brother several months ago, he told me, “Yes! I can’t wait to have a little brother. Little sisters are so much work.”

I laughed and said, “Buddy, a little brother is going to a lot of work too but he’ll still be fun.”

“I know,” he told me, all mature and crap at six whole years old.

While visiting my brother and his newly-expanded family at the hospital, J’s mom called and asked if she could come up and take a picture of J with his new little brother.

My brother said that was fine and then there she was. I was holding the baby at the time so when she got there, I had J sit in a chair and hold his brother on a pillow. So much cuteness.

We all chatted a little, small talk mostly. At one point, J’s mom said she tries hard to be a good mom but sometimes, it just doesn’t work out.

J asked her why she isn’t always a good mom.

She and I spoke at the same time. She said, “Because sometimes you just make me so mad.”

I answered, “Because sometimes mommies just get tired, Buddy.”

She turned and smiled at me. “That was a much better answer,” she said.

I shrugged. “I’m older than you are, I’ve gotten pretty good at answering tough questions like that.”

And it’s true. We aren’t always as patient and loving as we’d like to be because we’re almost always tired. Show me a mom who isn’t tired and I’ll show you a woman who has a live-in nanny. And I’ll bet you anything that that poor nanny is really freaking tired.

Taking care of kids is hard work, whether your work, work from home or stay home. This mommy gig isn’t for the weak, that’s for sure. I like to think we’re all just doing our best.

No comments: