Friday, May 17, 2019

Pool

For the last week or so, Olivia has been asking when the pool is going to open.

She’s ready for summer and swimming and afternoon at the pool with mom.

Last summer was amazing for us. It was the first summer I was able to be at home with Tom and the girls and Olivia and I spent more afternoons at the pool than I can count.

One night recently as I was tucking her into bed, she asked again when the pool was going to open. I told her it would probably open after school let out for the summer.

Then I said something about taking the occasional afternoon off to go to the pool with her, since the pool doesn’t even open until 1pm each day anyway.

She gave me a confused look and said, “But I thought you had the summer off.”

Oh, baby, I wish!

I told her no, I only had last summer off. This coming summer, I’d have to work since I’d just started my new job last fall.

Then I said, “But last summer was so great, wasn’t it? I loved spending my afternoons swimming with you.”

She nodded.

I reminded her, “We’ll still spend a lot of time together this coming summer, even though I have to work.”

I love that she remembers our awesome summer. I love that she wants to continue to spend time with me. I love that she’d figuring out who time works and building memories of past times.

I do wish we were independently wealthy so I could spend my days at home with her and Tom and Lyss (though, let’s face it, Lyss probably won’t be home much this summer…see: Teenager.)

Even with working, we’ll make more memories, spend as much time as possible in the water at the pool, swimming like mermaids and being silly. It’s what who we are, it’s what we do.

How lucky am I to still be here to do all this?

No comments: