Friday, May 3, 2019

Powerful

My love is sleep is well documented.

Each time one of my kids (Alyssa) asks me who my favorite daughter is, I tell her, “Whichever one goes to sleep first.”

I have lamented the fact that neither of my children were good sleepers as baby ad nauseum. I think they were both out to kill me, quite honestly. Their lack of sleep definitely contributed to my current state of fatness. I mean, if they’d slept better as babies, I wouldn’t have had to self-medicate with Mountain Dew and Funyuns to stay awake during our horrific commute back in the day.

Of course, now that they both sleep wonderfully, I can’t actually blame them for my obesity. I need to take all the credit for that myself.

But finally, FINALLY, after all these years of wondering if either of my girls would become the lovers of sleep that I am, we have arrived.

Last Friday night, we all went to bed at the lovely hour of 10pm. I know, we’re a boring bunch, what can I say.

Alyssa woke me up the next morning at 6:30 to excitedly inform me that her track meet had been cancelled. She was so excited she didn’t know if she could go back to sleep, but she was sure going to try.

I was just REALLY relieved because I hadn’t been looking forward to sitting around in 42 degrees with rain falling on me. I’d planned my wardrobe accordingly and thought I was prepared but when the option to stay in bed where it was dry and warm presented itself, yes, I was so happy to not have to bundle up and still freeze.

Around 9am I heard shuffling from Liv’s bed. She rustled around a bit and then announced, “Wow. That was a powerful sleep.”

Ha! Oh sweetie, I totally feel you on that one. Sleep is such a powerful thing. It can restore you. It can heal you. It can take you on adventures and brighten your mood.

We all need more nights that lead to eleven hours of powerful sleep.

No comments: