Monday, February 21, 2011

And Then There was Ice

After that lovely thaw last week, all our snow was gone. Our beautiful brown grass was showing and I was getting visions of the tulips I planted last fall dancing in my head. I know, it was premature.

Yet, waking up to ICE this morning was a jolt.

The call at 5:55 this morning, informing me that school was closed due to the weather was a nice one, though. Alyssa is still pale and sickly looking. She's acting better, racing around like a horse or a lion or a dog but then, every so often, she'll collapse in a heap on the couch and 'rest' for a half hour or so.

I had every intention of sending her to school today, though. She missed four days last week. She needs to get back. But, the relief in knowing she gets one more day off to lay around and get her strength back is nice.

We're going to hold off on gymnastics for another week, though. And I'm planning to send a note with her tomorrow so she can skip gym class. She's just not kicking this bug like she usually does.

But yeah, ice.

And now it's snowing, so the ice is beneath the snow, all traitorous and slippery and just waiting for some unsuspecting fool to try and drive or even walk across it.

Oh yes, I'm very, very tired of winter.

Poor Tom, still sick himself, home with both girls today because, duh, ice! I told him to make them rest and he laughed at me. I laughed back and walked out the door, leaving him in charge. I do believe I got the last laugh.

Except, I'm the one who has to drive hom in about five hours. Drive home on this snow that is covering the ice. Ice.

I really hate ice.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Okay, is that last bit a reference to a movie line? It's driving me crazy!

Tommie said...

Oooh, I just thought of what you're talking about. It was Cool Runnings!! I didn't mean to reference that movie, but I guess I sort of did unconsciously! Ice...as in, ice!