Saturday, June 25, 2011

The I's Have It

Let me preface this by saying that I know I make my share of typos. I'm horrible about proofreading my own writing and when I go back and catch a misspelling or a typo I cringe and shudder delicately.

With that said...in what English class anywhere in this great big country of ours has I ever been able to be made possessive?

Let me give you an example. My lovely friend Julie and her husband celebrated their 16th anniversary last week. Happy Anniversary, Julie and Rick!!! Wheee...I can't believe it was sixteen whole years ago that I stood up at Julie's maid of honor. And it was SUCH an honor.

Anyway, when Julie mentioned that it was their anniversary she said, "Hey, it's Rick's and my anniversary. Happy day to us."

Okay, I probably shouldn't have used quotation marks there because it's not a direct quote from her. But it could have been. And it would have been grammatically correct.

And yet...I've seen others write and even heard them say, "It's my husband and I's anniversary."

Ugh!!! Seriously? How does that sound right? How is this justified? I don't get it.

To use Julie as another example, when she and her delightful husband were just dating, he took her home to meet his family. During the dinner, Julie mentioned to those gathered that her father had taken her and her mother out to eat a few weeks before.

Her exact words were, "My dad took my mom and me out to dinner..."

And one of her future in-laws snorted and said something like, "I would think that as an English major you'd know that I is correct in that sentence."

Julie was mortified. Not just because she'd been 'corrected' in front of many people she'd hoped to impress but also because the person correcting her was WRONG.

The rule I learned a hundred years ago in elementary school is to separate the subjects/direct objects of the sentence.

If I were going to tell you that my husband and I were celebrating an anniversary, I could take my husband out of the sentence and say, "It's my anniversary." Or take myself out of it and say, "It's my husband's anniversary." Put the two together and it's my husband's and my anniversary.

It will never be my husband and I's anniversary. It just won't.

Just like my dad will never take I out to dinner.

Whew, I feel better.

This English lesson is concluded.

And hey, Julie, I hope you don't mind the fact that I used your good name and your awesome grammar story in this rant.

5 comments:

Bad Egg said...

!!! I grew up saying "So-and-So and I" in error, and I've been aware for awhile that it's wrong, but haven't heard such a simple & clear explanation why before. Yippee, now I know why! !!!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

I have a confession... I haven't read this post yet!!! But keep reading I think you will be pleased to hear what I have to say.

OK I am just about to make a head band and brooches. Would you like me to make two one for A and O? One of both? Two Headbands? Two Brooches? What do you think or want? Email me at Haolepinos(@)gmail(.)com. If you don't want any no worries, just thought of you and your girls.

Julie said...

HAHA, not offended and yes, I'm still mortified about the whole "my dad" thing. And the bitchy 21 year old in me "politely" corrected said in-law.

You are the best in I's eyes. :)

Page said...

Go Julie! I was hoping that you'd corrected that in-law!

And yes... Amen to all that, Tommie! I don't have even near perfect grammar, but that gets to me too!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

Ok I read it this time!! ahhahha I seriously struggle with this too. Gian always corrects me but I am utterly confused because I swear learning in Elementary school its is always "Sam and I" or "Jessica and I went to the...
I am soooooooooooo confused about the whole stinking thing!!! Some times I wonder if I really have a learning disability or if I an see the true nonsense and inconsistency that English really has hahahahah.

So I too really try to stay away from any of it! ahhah