Monday, June 13, 2011

A Tail of Two Fishies

My girls are obsessed with mermaids. If we aren't watching the movie Aquamarine, we're watching Splash. If it's not one of those movies it's Barbie in a Mermaid's Tail or Dora Saves the Mermaid. Or Barbie's Mermaidia. There's also always The Little Mermaid, The Little Mermaid II, the Return to the Sea or even The Little Mermaid, Ariel's Beginning.

Yes, we have a lot of mermaid movies/cartoons.

And they love all of them, though Aquamarine is the current favorite.

When I manage to get them away from the television and out into the hot, fresh air they're splashing in the tiny inflated pool on our deck, pretending to be either Aquamarine or Madison from Splash.

Alyssa figure out last weekend that if she puts both of her legs into one leg of her pajama pants, she has a 'tail.' During her night with my mom last Saturday, she convinced my mom to sew what resembles the end of a mermaid tail at the end of the leg of her pajama pants. She effectively has a tail now, one which holds her legs together and makes her swim like a fish.

She loves it.

Of course, since my mom is very, very crafty, Olivia already has a green tail that very much resembles Ariel's tail. Thankfully, it was created so that Olivia could wear it and still walk.

I love their passion for this subject. I love how it sparks their imagination and captures their fascination.

The only think that comes even close to Alyssa's obsession with mermaids is her love of horses.

Olivia? Could not possibly care less about horses, but mermaids? Are awesome as far as she's concerned.

I hope this stages lasts all summer and beyond. It's so much fun to watch them play together, to recite the lines from their movies, to 'swim' in four inches of water, trying to escape those who would capture and study them.

I love that my fishies are free to be silly, crazy, wild mermaids.

3 comments:

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

That is soooooooo very cute!! Mermaids are so magical, and it is funny how every little girl looooooooves mermaids. I want to see these fins!!! You need to post photos of your girls in their stylish new scales!!

Anonymous said...

How cute!! I remember being obsessed with Splash when I was a child, lol

Anonymous said...

I love it! And I love mermaids. How great that your girls have so much fun with it!

Hugs,
Page