Thursday, October 20, 2011

Leaving on a Jet Plane

I leave tomorrow morning at 9am to drive to the Toledo airport to hop on a plane that will take me to Chicago, where I will get on another plane that will take me back east to Washington, D.C.

This will be my fourth time to attend this amazing conference held by the March of Dimes. I love going, I love seeing the amazing people and laughing my fool head off and spending time with Julie and Lauren and Jackie and Katie and Laura and so many more people that I can’t even name them all.

But leaving is hard. It’s hard for me to leave Tom and the girls, even for just two nights and three days.

And I know it’s hard on the girls. Alyssa got sad last night at the very mention of me leaving. But I also know that this is good for them. It’s good for Tom and the girls to get to spend some uninterrupted time together, time when neither of the girls can run to me on a whim.

But they’re both so mommy-centric. I am their go-to person. I’m the one who bathes them, dresses them, feeds them (most of the time, Tom’s taken over week day breakfast duties, yay!) I always do bedtime so that’s probably the biggest challenge Tom is going to face this weekend. Though, knowing them they way I do, he’ll let the girls fall asleep downstairs and then just carry them to bed. I do that myself sometimes on Friday and Saturday nights, knowing that we don’t have to get up for school the next day and so being lax on bedtimes.

In years past, it was almost always all Mommy-Girls time. When we were commuting, I was there constant. I was the one who was always there, whether we were at home or at my mom’s house, I was there to care for them.

Now, they’re having to learn to accept Daddy’s help once in awhile and I’m not sure they appreciate his presence as much as I do. They will though. In time, they’ll get used to having him around full time and they’ll learn to love it.

So I’m glad they get this time together and I’m glad for the time away.

And the best part of leaving is always the coming home, so there’s that to which I can look forward.

4 comments:

Should Not Operate Heavy Machinery said...

If you have a long layover in Chicago, let me know! We can do "lunch"!

Alice said...

Thanks so much for your message on my blog! Lovely to hear from you and to read about your life. Enjoy your trip! Alice

Jenn Carney said...

Have a great time in DC! Say hi to everyone!

Tiffany said...

Good for you! Have a great time!!!