Sunday, October 9, 2011

Parties, Purging and Soccer

Yesterday morning was filled with cupcakes, frosting, a bit of yelling and finally a party to celebrate my cousin's marriage. She got married back on 9/10/11 but put off the party until yesterday.

Months ago, my aunt (the mother of the bride) asked me if I'd make cupcakes for the party. They wanted the cupcakes to look like sunflowers.

No problem, I said.

Except...it's really hard to decorate five thousand (okay, there was only about a hundred) cupcakes while my two children raced around like maniacs all morning.

At one point, I made Olivia cry. See, I'd asked her, told her and threatened her with bodily harm if she didn't stop kissing my butt, Olivia did it one time too many. Now, before calling CPS, I didn't resort to bodily harm over this infraction but I did raise my voice quite high and her feelings did get quite hurt.

But damn it! That is so annoying. You wouldn't think that the kissing of one's butt would be so irritating but after it happens over and over and over again, yes, I just want it to stop.

I know she's showing affection but please, stop with the butt kissing. Before I had children, I never considered the possibility that the kissing of my butt would be something I had to tell someone not to do.

Finally, at 2:00, the cupcakes were done and we were out the door at 2:10.

This morning, I woke up with a need to first, clean up the cupcake mess I left in the kitchen from the day before. I realize that the very thought of dishes in the sink may leave others in a fit of tremors, but...ehh, whatever.

After the frosting-coated bowls/knives/cups were clean, I headed up to the girls' room to go through their closet and purge the out-grown clothes.

This is SUCH a job. But it has to be done. And now, it is. Well, half done. Alyssa's closet is done. Olivia's? Not so much. And now, it has to wait while we go to Alyssa's soccer game.

She loves soccer so much. She loves the running, the kicking, the comraderie. It's so much fun to see how far she's come out of her shyness. She's growing up, becoming her own person.

It's thrilling and terrifying all at once.

When we get back from soccer (after buying groceries) I'll be back at Olivia's closet, sorting the clothes into wearable right now, wearable next spring, donate/throw away. So much fun to be had.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I like it when people kiss my butt. In fact, I often want to TELL people to kiss my butt...OH, you mean she was literally kissing your butt. Yeah, that would get old. And I've yelled at much smaller infractions. No harm done. :)

Anonymous said...

Seriously?! I thought I was the only one who had to reprimand someone for butt kissing! (the boy-child)

Luke's excuse? "I can't help it, it's just there!"

Grr.