Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Treat



It only took five Halloweens, five years of costumes (I think she might have been a fairy two years in a row,) five trick or treating trips to get to the point where Olivia walked the entire way.

I expected her to ask me to carry her half way through the evening. But, in hopes of saving my own feet and back, I made her wear her tennis shoes rather than the sparkly black flats I bought her to go with her "mean" witch costume. Alyssa has been asking Olivia for weeks if she was going to be a nice witch. Each time Olivia chirped, "No, I'm going to be a MEAN witch." It might have been more convincing if she didn't have such a sweet, high voice.

And the tennies worked. She walked. She walked for an hour. All the moms out there with late walkers will get why this is such a big deal. They understand why this is something that needs to be recorded.

Olivia walked from house to house to house for an hour. She held my hand and she often said to me with a smile, "Let's run and catch up to Lyssie."

And we ran. We ran and caught up with Lyssie and her friend and then we walked some more.

I'm not quite ready to give up our stroller but I'm one step closer than I was last week when she rode in it across the soccer field to watch Alyssa play her last game of the season.

My little witch really is getting stronger and I couldn't be prouder.

I'm also very proud of Alyssa, who went as Simba this year from the Lion King. How awesome is this girl? She's all about the coolness of a tough lion than is she about being girly and glittery. I hope I can keep her this innocent and awesome for years to come.

4 comments:

Just another mom said...

That's so wonderful!! Hailey loves being a witch for Halloween too. I tried to convince her to be a pink fancy witch but nope...she's a black scary spider witch!! Ha ha :-)!!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

I love the costumes!!! hahaha a Mean Witch ahahah, I love it! I never gave much thought of a nice witch or a mean witch, but I love that she knew what she wanted!!!!

Tiffany said...

Yeah for Olivia!! Sorry I'm so behind on reading your blog. :) I'm all caught up now!

Anonymous said...

Both are great!!