Monday, February 11, 2013

Shadowed

My girls like me. They like me a lot. As evidenced by that last post about bath time, they would prefer to be next to me even in their sleep. I understand this because I felt the same way about my own mother. If we were in the same house, I liked to be near her, even if we were both reading at the ends of the couch. I enjoyed knowing we were breathing the same air, sitting there, not even talking.

Yesterday afternoon, Tom and I kept coming up with reasons I might need to go to our local small grocery store. First, I wondered if we needed milk. We decided it could wait until today when I could get it for less at Walmart. I know but…we’re not exactly rich around here and we need to cut costs where we can.

Then we talked about how I’d forgotten to get napkins while shopping on Saturday. Should I go get them?

No, again, it could wait.

But the ice cream situation…it could not wait. Not if everyone, Tom, Alyssa and Olivia were to get the serving they all wanted last night.

So it was decided I’d go get some ice cream.

I put on my coat and boots, Tom gave me cash and Alyssa kissed me goodbye.

Olivia followed me too the door and asked, “Where are you going?”

I told her I was going to the store and she and Lyssie were going to stay at home with Daddy.

She stared at me. She blinked. She blinked again.

I asked her if she wanted to go with me.

She smiled and nodded.

I smiled back and went to get her a shirt. She was wearing one of Alyssa’s smaller sports bras and a pair of pants. They’d been playing like that pretty much all day.

I told her to put her on her boots even though she didn’t have socks. It was just a trip to the grocery store.

After I’d put on her coat we headed for the door. She stopped and asked, “Can I take a cookie to eat in my car seat?”

I’d made a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies. How could I deny such a request?

I got her a cookie while Tom gave her some milk in a sippy for the road.

She had that cookie eaten and milk drained before we were two miles down the road. It’s a good thing since the store is only three miles awa.

She bounced into the store, so happy to be with me. We got the ice cream and headed the register. Once there we had to wait behind two other customers. Olivia glanced over the magazine rack and said, “Did you buy a new magazine this week?”

I admitted that I hadn’t. She raised her eyebrows at me. Finally, she suggested, “Do you think we need a new poo magazine?”

I agreed that we probably did. She likes to read US Weekly and In Touch while pooing each day. And hey, until you have a child who has a syndrome that is prone to constipation, don’t judge. It helps her relax which helps her gigantic poos come out. And it keeps her off medication to relieve the constipation. Always a win as far as I'm concerned. So yes, we bought a new gossip magazine for her to ‘read’ while pooing. Best $2.99 I spend every week.

I let her carry the magazine out of the store and she announced she was going to read it on the way home. I carried the ice cream and told her that was a great idea.

It was just a small trip but it meant the world to a sweet six year old who can’t seem to get enough of me. How lucky am I to have her?

No comments: