Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Tooth, the Whole Tooth, Nothing but the Tooth

As is our usual, I called Tom before leaving town to head home yesterday to see if we needed anything.

He said there was nothing we needed that couldn’t wait until tomorrow. Then he told me that Olivia needed to tell me something.

He handed her the phone and she said, very quickly, “I lost one of my tooths.”

I thought she said she lost one of her shoes. I assured her we’d find it when I got home.

Then Tom came back and clarified. She’d lost a tooth. A tooth we hadn’t even known was loose until last Wednesday when the dentist pointed it out. It was barely loose.

Tom told me they been sharing a donut as an afternoon snack when suddenly, Olivia said, “My tooth is weird.”

Tom thought maybe it was suddenly looser than it had been. But no, not looser, gone.

And we think she swallowed it. We’re not going to search for it in the coming days either.

The tooth fairy still stopped and left her come cold hard cash. She asked me this morning if her tooth was still gone. I told her was and that it would be replaced by a new tooth in the coming weeks.

So we lucked out. The tooth never had to get so loose that it irritated her. We never actually had to pull it out for her, yanking on that last little thread of skin. Ick.

Alyssa lost her first tooth while eating a bowl of noodles. Yes, noodles. They were fully cooked. I guess we’re just not all that dramatic when it comes to losing teeth. I’m okay with that.

Look at her, she's pretty proud of that space right there:


1 comment:

Charity Deleon said...

AWESOME! She has gotten so big and beautiful!