Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Putting on My Judgy Pants

Pardon me while I work through a moment of judginess. I realize that’s probably not a word but it’s what I feel is going on and so I’m going with it.

So yes, judging. It’s an ugly thing. I hate it when I feel like I’m judging someone else, their lifestyle, their choices. Just because they make choices different from the choices I’d make, it doesn’t mean their choices are wrong and my own are the only right way to live.

Vague enough? Okay, so specifics:

I’ve mentioned that my brother, whom I love very, very much, and his family are moving into a new home. They’ve worked hard to get to this point and I’m thrilled for them.

This new home is all of two blocks from where I work so it was quite convenient for my mom to call me yesterday and ask me to meet her there so I could pick up the girls. She had my nephew with her and was taking him home at the same time.

I got there first and was invited inside. Which, yay, right? Except…dogs. Oh my goodness, holy dogs! There are four of them. All little yippy things with clicky-clacky nails and doggy breath and wagging tails.

The largest of the four is a Jack Russell terrier, so that sort of gives an idea of the size of the other three. The JRT is a jumper. Which…ugh! I can’t stand jumpy, yappy dogs.

But wait. Let’s be honest here. I’m not a dog fan period. There it is. I’ve said it and probably alienated half of my readers (all two of them).

When my mom arrived with the girls, Olivia immediately wanted to be held/carried because of the dogs. She’s a lot like me in her serious loathing of all things animals. I’m okay with cats, expecially Orville and my mom’s cat Prissy because they sort of hate everyone too and just leave us alone. But the dogs, they wanted to greet everyone and be petted and swarm around the entry, and trip an unsuspecting visitor.

I’m not a fan of animals in the house. I admit that. And I know that my own preferences does not make it wrong that other people like to have dogs in their home. Hey, and let me say right here, we do have a fish that lives INSIDE our home, so…ahem.

But…four? In the house? All the time? Why? I just don’t get it.

And yes, I’m being judgy about it. I’m sorry for that. I’m working on getting over it. I know that everyone has their own preferences and I’m just grateful that my brother and his fiance don’t bring their dogs to visit each time they come to my house. That would be just shudder-worthy. But they don’t do that. Because they’re considerate and they know that we don’t have dogs.

I appreciate that and I can work toward being more accepting and understanding of their choices. Their choices are not wrong even if they are completely opposite of the choices Tom and I have made for our home.

I think I feel better now.

No comments: