Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Babying Lyssie

Alyssa was home yesterday with an ear ache. I was able to get her an appointment with our doctor and Tom brought her to town where I met them at the office.

She and I waited to see the doctor and she lounged on me, all 90 pounds of her, feverish and in pain from the almost certain ear infection brewing.

The doctor barely had to glance in her ear before asking me which antibiotic I wanted her to be on.

Since I am not the one with the medical degree or the income a doctor brings in, I asked what he’d give her if she were his child.

He wrote the prescription, warned us about the side effects if she takes it on an empty stomach and off we went to Walmart to fill the prescription.

Once I dropped it off at the pharmacy, I asked her if she wanted something to drink. She leaned into me and nodded, clearly not feeling well but also enjoying the one on one attention she was getting.

Since it was going to take the pharmacy an hour to fill the prescription, we headed to the local Great Wall to buy my hot and sour soup to celebrate my reaching 40 pounds lost.

It the four blocks it took us to go from Walmart to the restaurant Alyssa finished the Gatorade I’d bought her.

When we got back to Walmart to wander and wait for the medicine, I asked her if she wanted another Gatorade or an Icee from Subway. Her eyes brightened for a minute and she said, “You’re nice when I’m sick.”

Ha! Poor kid. I hope I’m ‘nice’ more often than when she’s sick but I realize that moms have to say no more often than we like just because that’s life.

I am so glad she still wants me to baby her when she’s sick. I hate that she’s sick but grateful that she’s still my baby enough to want me to snuggle her when she doesn’t feel well. Whether she likes it or not, she’ll always be my baby. For now, she still likes it. I am one lucky mom.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I just got caught up on all of your posts...how was the bday party? Did she go yet? How exciting!!!

And that's the best party...we get to baby our girls!