Monday, January 25, 2016

Always Right

Alyssa has this idea that I am always right.

I’ve tried to explain to her that I’m not actually always right, it’s just that I don’t bother to argue about something unless I know I’m right.

Which means, that when I argue (debate? Discuss?) something with someone, I do so with the knowledge that I will be able to prove myself right.

I don’t argue opinions because those can’t be proven.

But when she said that Haymitch was the one who told President Coin and the dude played by the late and great Philip Seymour Hoffman to wash Katniss’s face because she was still a girl and the makeup made her look thirty, I knew she was wrong.

And I knew I could prove her wrong by showing her the scene and proving that Haymitch did not say that line, it was, in fact said by the soldier who ended up being one of Katniss’s greatest supporters.

I am a freak when it comes to movie details and…I read the book. Haymitch didn’t say it in the book either.

But anyway, when my step-dad informed me last week that O+ is the universal donor when it comes to blood, I knew he was wrong. I also knew that a quick google search would prove it.

So I argued, gently, that O- was actually the universal donor.

He tried to tell me that while I might be right NOW, as in, these days, but O+ USED to be the universal donor.

But no, I replied gently. Science doesn’t change. O+ has never been able to be given to people with a negative Rh factor. Those with a positive Rh factor can receive negative blood but the reverse is not true.

I don’t think he believed me even after ten minutes of discussion.

Alyssa finally told him, “Pawp, you can’t argue with her. She’s always right.”

I think he was annoyed with me for even trying to explain my rightness but…when I know I’m right, I will defend my facts.

I can’t help it. I can't let someone sit there and spout incorrect information for others to absorb. I just can't.

No comments: