Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Early to Bed

Olivia was a pest this morning. She didn’t want to get up (this is my morning child, who is usually trying to climb into my bed at 5:30 on the flipping weekends!) She didn’t like the clothes we’d picked out just two days ago, she didn’t want the breakfast Tom had ready for her.

I told her that tonight, we’re going to bed at 8:00. Alyssa shot me a look of distress when I announced this.

I hope my face conveyed the message that I planned to just lay down in the room with Olivia until she was asleep and then I could escape back downstairs to watch some Sliders with Alyssa.

But yes, I’m thinking that Miss O needs more sleep.

She fell asleep at about 8:45 last night. That’s just not early enough when she’s having to wake up at 6:15 on a regular school day. If only they’d delayed school this morning, she could have sleep for another hour, alas, our school didn’t think that 4 degree weather was cold enough for a delay.

But you know what’s great about all of the above? It’s pretty age appropriate for Olivia. I can imagine writing everything I just wrote about a typical nine year old.

Most of the time, I don’t think about Olivia having a syndrome or special needs. She’s just Olivia, cranky sometimes, irritating sometimes, mostly loving and funny and smart and silly.

So we’ll make an adjustment tonight to help make up for the sleep deficit she must be feeling after a long weekend full of fun. And tomorrow might be better. If it isn’t, we’ll go to sleep early again and maybe check to see if she’d getting enough water during the day or enough vegetables each day.

Life is all about adjustments. As long as we roll with the punches and adjust as we go, I’m pretty sure we’re going to be just fine.

No comments: