Thursday, November 10, 2011

Conference - part 2

Somehow, when the scheduling of conferences happened, I managed to be scheduled for a conference with O's teacher last Thursday and a conference with A's teacher today. So I had the privledge of driving from work to the school (about twenty miles away) twice. Perhaps in the coming years, the scheduling will be kinder to my gas budget.

But today's conference was all that I'd expected. Alyssa's a joy, she's a delight, if we could clone her about twenty times we'd have a perfect classroom.

Of course, this meeting was followed by me getting to my mom's an hour early to be greeted by a sullen Alyssa who didn't want to come home early, thank you very much.

But again, that's perfectly normal. She's the picture of perfection at school because she's still learning her place among the teachers and her peers. But here at home? She's comfortable in the place that she believes she holds, that of the leader, the boss, the ruler of the house.

Ohh, that silly, silly girl.

But seriously, it was a good conference. Alyssa is at the top of her class in reading, in math, in social studies, in science. She's kind of her classmates and obeys the rules of the classroom and the school.

The only thing her teacher wants her to work on is her handwriting. This doesn't surprise me. When I check her homework, I often suggest to her that she might wand to slow down when she's writing because her handwriting is less than pretty. It's actually sort of messy. Her teacher said that she tries to remind the class that their handwriting is a form of communication and that they need to remember that people reading their work aren't just reading what they wrote, they're also reading how they wrote it.

Such good advice! I'm definitely going to use that as we work on Alyssa's handwriting.

But honestly, if handwriting is the only thing she has to work on? That's pretty darned good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whew! I think I'm all caught up now! I'm so glad Alyssa's conference went so well. Happy Belated Birthday, and it's wonderful to see how far Olivia is coming with her name-writing! Go You All!

Much Love