Thursday, November 17, 2011

Show and Tell

Olivia’s class has started doing Show and Tell. Obviously, at this point, Olivia isn’t actually taking anything to class to show her classmates. She refuses to even consider just taking something and not talking about it. She’ll just sit back and enjoy the others as they show and tell, thank you very much.

During my conference with O’s teacher, I mentioned that I wish I could take a video of Olivia at home, one she wasn’t aware of so she doesn’t get distracted by the camera itself, so that I could send it to her teacher. I want the teachers and therapists to see and get to know the wild, talkative, active girl we live with, not the shy little flower that sits quietly in their classroom.

Mrs. F thought that was a great idea. In fact, she suggested that if I emailed her some sort of video, she could show the class during Show and Tell.

Huh. Well. I’m think it would be fun for everyone to see who Olivia really is but I wondered how Olivia herself would feel about sitting in class one day and suddenly there’s this video of her being played.

Obviously, I would try and explain to her what I was doing. I’d show her whatever video I took of her first and ask if she wanted her class to see it.

But I wonder about retention? Would she remember me talking about the video before it was actually shown in class?

This is something I need to give some thought to before I decide what to do. But for now I need to get around to actually taking video of my super special snowflakes. Can’t send what we haven’t recorded, now can I?

No comments: