Friday, November 18, 2011

Waffles

On Wednesday morning Olivia requested Waffles for breakfast. We didn’t have any frozen waffles and I didn’t have time to drag out the waffle iron, mix the ingredients and cook up a waffle for her so Rice Krispies it was.

But I made sure I went to the store that day and bought two different kinds of Eggo waffles, buttermilk and blueberry. If my girl wants waffles for breakfast I want to provide them for her. (Without all the work involved in using an actual waffle iron, thank you very much.)

She’s had blueberry waffles for breakfast before school the last two mornings. I blame my mother for O’s penchant for asking for such things.

My mom loves that Olivia eats a wide variety of foods. Okay, I do too, but not at 7:05 in the morning when she’s asking for something that not only takes a lot of preparation but is also messy in the eating.

Olivia will often request oatmeal for breakfast or lunch while at my mom’s house. She has never asked for oatmeal at our house. She knows I have no idea how to make oatmeal. She’s not even five yet and she’s figured us all out. But in my defense, I know how to make her favorite noodles and my mom has no clue they even exist. But hey, it’s not a contest, right?

Alyssa, on the other hand, will cheerfully eat Pop Tarts, Rice Krispies or Cheerios every day for months on end. Scramble her an egg and she thinks the world is ending because you might actually expect her to eat it. Give her toast with the crust still on it and you’re the meanest person who ever lived. And waffles are just a mystery to her. She can’t imagine why anyone would want to eat one.

My girls are so different that sometimes it surprises me they share DNA. But differences and similarities aside, they're awesome, each in her own way.

No comments: