Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fighting Genetics

As a child, I had horrible teeth. My baby teeth were discolored and just nasty. I think genetics and taking getting Pepsi in my bottle were the cause.

I had horrific experiences with the dentist in my youth. I hated the dentist. I hated the hygenist. I hated the office and the way it smelled. I hated the nitrous oxide they used to put me out while they worked on my teeth. I hated it all.

I got lucky, though. My adult teeth are stronger than my baby teeth were. Of course, by the time my permanent teeth came in, I no longer used a baby bottle and I rarely drank (drink?) Pepsi.

My girls have had their problems with dentistry. Both managed to injure a top front tooth when they were three. They've each had to have fillings.

They don't have a good opinion of dentists in general either.

But we're working to change that.

Our visit yesterday was the girls' first meeting with a new dentist. They'd gone to a pediatric dentist in the past.

The old dentist had a strict rule about parents in the room when cleanings/procedures took place.

I took them to my dentist yesterday. I was welcomed back where the cleanings were taking place.

Both of my girls were superheroes. They were awesome as they cooperated with both the hygenist and the dentist.

And...they both joined the "No Cavity Club." We're attempting to fight genetics with regular visits to the dentist and strict tooth brushing habits.

It can be an uphill battle, but we're trying.

And finding a dentist who is kind and patient to his patients is a definite step in the right direction as we head up that hill.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh good! I'm so glad yesterday went well. I love our dentist for the kids; they are so kind with all of them, but especially Olivia!

Anonymous said...

Good news!! My are always nervous about the dentist and I have put Sophie's first visit off because her dr said we need to give her a breather from so many visits for a bit.