Friday, January 13, 2012

Orville

I took a vacation day from work today so that I could have lunch with Alyssa and then take cupcakes to her class for her birthday. I know that the number of times she's actually going to want me to come to lunch with her at school or bring cupcakes for her birthday are limited. So I want to do this stuff while I still can.

When school let out, I picked her up and told her I was taking her somewhere that was a surprise.

She tried to guess as we drove the twelve miles from the school to the animal shelter. But she never figured it out.

When we pulled into the driveway, she read the sign. "Humane Society?" There was a question in her voice.

I told her, "We can't look at the dogs but I'm hoping you'll find a kitty you'd like to take home."

The way her face lit up...oh you guys, it was beautiful. The surprise, the joy.

She held every cat in that shelter and finally went back to the first one she held. He's a little black, long haired kitten who is about three months old. The shelter employees had named him Orville.

Alyssa has decided to keep his name Orville. She adores him. Though just before we put him in his room for the night, she announced, "Kittens are a lot of work."

Oh Sweetie, welcome to the world of responsibilities. It only gets harder from here. But it also gets better.

Nine is going to be awesome!

Pictures of Orville and Alyssa's party coming soon.

No comments: