Monday, January 9, 2012

Really?

I had to call my OB-GYN today to schedule an appointment.

The receptionist was very nice. But she also pointed out that my annual exam last year took place on February 23 and so the doctor won’t want to do another exam until then or later.

But, I explained, the reason I was calling today was to schedule an IUD removal/replacement. Because, duh, I’m 41 and we’re DONE having babies. Can you even imagine how much more frazzled I’d be with a third tiny person in our house needing something from me?

The thought makes me feel faint.

She hemmed and hawed and I suggested gently that perhaps I could just schedule two appointments, one for the IUD stuff and one, later, for the annual stuff.

Huh, she said. Good idea.

You think?

Then she suggested that I fax her a copy of the front and back of my insurance card so they can make sure the IUD replacement is covered.

And I wonder…why the hell wouldn’t it be? Wouldn’t the cost of a 5 year IUD (which has to be under $500) be worth it to almost any insurance company to prevent a pregnancy, which would absolutely, even in the most perfect circumstances, cost more than $500?

I can’t even imagine that it won’t be covered but I think that if it isn’t, there is something wrong with the way insurance companies work.

But then, without getting political, we already know there is something wrong with health care and insurance companies, etc in this country, don’t we?

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Don't even get me started on insurance!!!!