Friday, September 21, 2012

How I Know It's Worth the Work

I know that people who are good at marriage know that working on their relationship is worth it. They know this intuitively.

But those who aren’t naturally good at relationships might wonder how I know that it is worth the work I put into my own.

I know that this marriage is worth the work because when it is good, the good is so much better than the bad is ever bad.

That probably doesn’t make sense.

Let’s see. How about on a scale of one to ten with one being not so good and ten being great, when things are good, they’re a ten.

But if you use the same scale and reverse it for the bad times, the one is irritating and the ten is verging on packing up and getting out, I’d say we’ve only ever hit a six, max.

So the good is so worth slogging through the not-so-good times.

And everyone has their cycles, their moods, their seasons of joy versus their seasons of pain.

Working through those seasons together makes the joyful seasons so much more joyful and the painful seasons endurable.

If I ever get to the point where the bad is so much worse than the good can ever be good? Then I’ll reevaluate whether it’s worth the effort. But this far in, I haven’t reached that point.

I’m grateful for that and know that I’m incredibly blessed.

No comments: