Thursday, September 13, 2012

Wannabe Crafty

I’m not really all that crafty. I don’t own a hot glue gun. I think I got burned on one at my mom’s once and so they scare me to this day.

But we do have a craft bin in which there are a few water color paints, some sketch paper, some colored pencils.

Every so often, Alyssa announced the urge to paint and so we get out the craft bin and I let her and Olivia go to it at the kitchen table.

I claim I’m going to make a quilt at some point. I even have the pants I plan to cut into squares to do just that…but the squares have yet to be cut.

I have managed to crochet several blankets over the years. I currently have two in the works. But I don’t usually think of that as being a craft so much as something I do on a cold winter evening while watching television.

But in the past few days, I’ve felt the craft bug nibbling at me. I want to go buy some felt and yarn in fall colors and trace leaf patterns on them so the girls can cut them out and we can hang bannerish things about the house. I want to buy some new candles, in oranges and reds and browns and light them in every room so that the scents of cinnamon and pumpkin and sunflower (do sunflowers really smell?) can waft into the air.

I want to bring a warmth, a hominess to our house that I feel is missing right now. I want the girls to have memories of making things that we display proudly.

I want to be crafty though I fear I’m not. But we’re sure going to give it the old craft try. See if we don’t. And if we do manage to pull any of this off, there will be pictures. Oh yes, there will be pictures.

You’ve been warned.

No comments: