Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Stash

Olivia has what she calls a ‘secret stash.’ It’s a shelf on our entertainment center where she puts any toy she thinks she might want to play with again later that day, tomorrow, next month.

Yeah, it’s not so secret since everything is right there where everyone and their cat can see.

But she loves that that shelf is her place to put things she wants to keep safe and accessible.

O has declared that Alyssa’s secret stash is the shelf above her own. Huh. I just thought that was a place where clutter has been accumulating.

On our drive to Huntington on Sunday, it came up that I had a secret stash too, but it happens to be the closet in the guest room. Except, I don’t stash my own stuff there, I stash Olivia’s off-season clothes. Clothes she’ll be able to wear next spring and summer.

Alyssa lamented that my area for my secret stash is so much bigger than hers and Olivia’s.

I replied that it was all relative. As compared to a couple of shelves, yes a closet seems large. But when you compare it to a detached garage and a small barn, it’s pretty dinky.

She asked what I was talking about.

I explained that while my secret stash is the closet in the guest room, Tom’s secret stash is in the detached garage and the barn.

“Oh…” she said, taking it in.

And that got me to thinking…with all this stashing of secret things, are we on the verge of a starring role on “Hoarders”?

I shudder at the thought even as I plot ways of getting rid of some of the clutter in our home.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I seriously want a huge dumpster.