Monday, April 8, 2019

A Drawer Full of Socks

I’ve been meaning to clean out/organize my sock drawer for months. Every morning when I’d go to get some socks for the day, I’d be overwhelmed by the messiness of that stupid sock drawer.

I actually have two drawers dedicated to my socks. I know. It’s ridiculous. I have a smaller drawer in which I keep the black socks, gray socks, white socks and all variations of those colors.

The bigger drawer holds all the colors, up to and including seasonal socks.

Can you see why this might be overwhelming?

I have so many socks!

And before I organized them, these socks were in those drawers all willynilly, not even bothering to be near a mate.

It was insane.

I’d find one cute blue sock and then have to sift through all the other unmated socks in there to find the other sock that matched the one I’d found. It took a stupid amount of time to find socks each morning.

But when was I supposed to organize all these socks?

While Liv is in the bath, I usually fold and put away laundry. When she’s not in the bath, she’s right there beside me unless she’s playing keep away with her dad, which isn’t as often as I might wish.

This past weekend, though, Alyssa had a jazz band thing in North Baltimore, which is over two hours away from our house and she urged me to skip the performance, explaining that driving almost two and a half hours for a ten minute performance didn’t seem worth my time.

Because of this event, we got home from our usual Saturday grocery run and lunch date by 12:30. So I was able to do laundry all afternoon. Go me! My life is beyond exciting, don’t you think?

And since the laundry was washed and dried, it made sense for me to fold it and put away. I’m an overachiever like that.

All this leads to Sunday when O was taking a bath. I didn’t have any laundry to fold and/or put away.

The sock drawers beckoned.

I was sucked in to the closet where I dumped all socks into an empty laundry basket (see above…it was all clean and even put away!! And the angels sang.)

I matched up the socks, tossed those without matches and even sorted the ones that no longer bring me joy (gag) into a pile to be either donated or tossed into the rag bag or burned, whichever feels right when the moment comes.

My socks are all now so very cozy in their drawers, all matched up and color-coded. The seasonal socks (I do realize how stupid that sounds but seasonal socks are so much fun, even if no one ever sees them, just knowing I’m wearing socks with hearts, or shamrocks or pumpkins on them makes me so happy.) are all rolled up in order of the holiday, it’s just lovely to behold.

*Insert Picture of sock drawer glory* My apologies for not taking a before shot. Imagine all those socks, add a few unmated ones for extra mess, all mixed up together.

And now that everything is matched up and rolled, there is so much more room in the drawers. I didn’t even purge that many socks, just the little ones that I hate (you know the ones…they’re made to wear with flats without showing. They never stay on my heels and drive me crazy, off they went to the get-rid-of pile.) and those without mates. Wait, I did get rid of some ugly beige ones that just looked dingy.

There is something about doing that chore you’ve been wanting to do for so long. Something that makes me feel accomplished even if it is just about my socks.

It makes me feel like I’m making some sort of headway in reclaiming my life.

Look out world, I’m taking charge again…one sock at a time.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love this and I love that your socks are color coded. My socks always somehow make it into Riley's drawers but I match them before they go to their proper owner (when I get the owner right).

However, I did just spend an inordinate amount of time on they word dingy which is not to be confused with dinghy. I first read it as dingy like a dingy person. And I loved that your socks are kind of dumb. But then I realized they were dingy as in not very white. And I spent more time making sure in my head that both words are spelled the same. Then I googled both of them. Then I googled dinghy just to be fun. And if I think that is fun, I probably should have been a librarian.