Thursday, April 25, 2019

Hats and Hair

So yes, my hair is still growing.

It has its okay days and its really bad days.

I don’t yet really have any days that I’d call good hair days.

But hey, on the other hand, any day with hair is a good hair day, right?

Yes.

Because being bald is so much worse than the worst bad hair day.

One thing I did acknowledge last spring as I got to the point where I didn’t need to wear a hat in public was that even on the windiest days, my hair was short enough that it didn’t get in my face.

That was lovely.

Not lovely enough to keep it that short but still a definite benefit to super short hair.

These days it’s long enough to get in my face but not long enough to actually pull back to keep it out of my face.

You see my dilemma, right? It will probably be another six months or so before it’s long enough to go into a decent ponytail.

It needs trimmed desperately. I haven’t seen the inside of a beauty salon in about ten months.

I was lamenting the blowing of hair into my face at track meets – aside: Why do most tracks have to be build next to open fields? I mean, seriously? And if they HAVE to be built next to these open fields, why can’t the designers/engineers/whoever the hell plans and builds them plant some sturdy trees to act as a windbreak? - end aside.

So yes, I was lamenting and one of my lovely new co-workers suggested I get a visor to keep the hair out of my face.

And…sure. A visor would be perfect…if I were seventy or a playing tennis or both.

I know. I’m such a bitch. Whiny about my hair when I don’t have any (did I really ever actually complain about the baldness? I don’t remember making a huge deal about it.) Whiny about my hair now that it’s growing back. Whiny about someone’s perfectly legitimate suggestion of a visor.

See, back in May of last year, when I stopped wearing hats, I told myself that I never want to wear another hat in my life.

Of course, if I were to lose my hair to chemo again (please, God…let me not have to face and fight cancer again…amen) I would obviously wear hats again.

But for as long as I have hair, I do not want to wear hats.

And last weekend at a track meet we were facing gale force winds and I caved. I put on a hat. Not only did it keep my hair out of my face, it also kept me warm. Seriously, those winds were insane. I was surprised they didn’t cancel the pole vault, it was that bad.

And you know what? Wearing a hat was no big deal. There were lots of people wearing hats. It’s April in the Midwest, hats are probably kept in most vehicles until late May…just in case.

My mom did not wear a hat at that track meet but let’s face it, she’s even more vain about her hair than I am about mine so…progress?

1 comment:

Julie said...

Headband? Scarf? Turban? Toddler pigtails?