Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Loudly/Quietly

I took another nap this past Sunday afternoon. When four o'clock rolled around and Tom changed the tv channel to college basketball, I flopped into the recliner, pulled up a blanket and announced it was naptime.

And I felt no guilt. See...I'd been running around all day, putting dirty laundry in the washer, making breakfast, putting clean yet wet laundry into the dryer, baking a pie (and wow, that sucker turned out GREAT), hang clean, dry laundry and putting it away, all the while putting still more dirty laundry in the washer and repating the cycle ad nauseum.

Along will all that I gave Olivia a bath, made lunch for both girls, picked up toys, got yelled at by Alyssa, who insisted she was still playing with those toys, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

So, no. No guilt over the nap.

Except...when 9:00pm rolled around and it was time to go to bed because it was a work/school night, I couldn't sleep. Because of the nap.

The next morning, I sent Tom an email. Part of the content was:

"It’s Monday and I’m sort of tired. As much as I LOVE that afternoon nap on Sundays (the last TWO Sundays, anyway) it sort of messes up my sleep for Sunday night, which leaves me sleepy and a bit cranky on Monday mornings. As if I need more reason to be cranky in the mornings, right? RIGHT!! Ahhhhhh."

And he mentioned that he knew of a way to take away my sleep issues on Sunday night. Which, of course, he was hinting that I could give up my nap.

Except I don't wanna!

And I told him so. See, he and I have had a nice routine going since Alyssa was about two years old. He gets up with the child(ren) on Sunday mornings and I get to sleep until 8:30 or so. Which, when you get up at 5:30 the rest of the week, is heaven.

The problem is that Olivia resists going downstairs with her dad and sister. See, for some reason, she finds it so very, very entertaining to sit on the bed next to her snoozing mother and LOUDLY suck her thumb and quietly pull her hair out. She will do this for up to an hour and a half, or until I hear her poor stomach growl and drag my lazy carcass out of bed and take her downstairs where I fix breakfast.

Poor kid.

What is it about a mother who is trying to sleep that is so entertaining that she'd prefer it over an AWAKE father and sister? I don't get it.

And I'm not even that pleasant to be around when my one morning of the week sleep-in time is being interrupted. I'm growly and ouchie and just want an hour with the bed to myself.

I explained some of this to Tom in subsequent emails yesterday. He said he'll make a point to come and get Olivia next Sunday.

I think he's hoping that if I get my sleep-in time, I'll not collapse on the recliner during basketball, instead, I might have the energy to go upstairs and prime and paint the nasty sponge painting that the previous owner did on the hall and bathroom walls. It's gross and I want it gone. But some days, I really want a nap more.

We'll see what next Sunday brings...

2 comments:

Kelly H said...

I can't wait to hear next Sunday if Tom follows through with this. If he's like my husband he will make a slight "attempt" then say well it didn't work :)

Men, they have it made!!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

hahahahah this is a good thing for me to read. I am such a grumpy pants when I am woken up. You sound much much nicer then I do! I seriously just learned a few things reading this! Take pictures of the before and after of your hallway, I hope next Sunday will be more sleepful! ahahah Demand breakfast in bed for getting off your sleeping pattern.... ahhaha Just kidding!