Thursday, March 31, 2011

And Then It Gets Better

This week of spring break has actually been the best one yet. Sure, there was that little hiccup on Tuesday night when Alyssa was so excited about having a friend over on Wednesday morning that she couldn't sleep.

But Wednesday morning dawned and Olivia woke up in time to sit in front of the space heater in the bathroom while Tom showered (she loves that space heater, she'd cook her darned feet if we'd let her) and I stayed in bed with Alyssa. The best part of my day was waking up next to my big girl, knowing she was going to be SO excited when she remembered that today was THE DAY that her friend was coming over.

And she was.

I have to confess that I was a little worried about how the day would go.

Would they be mean to Olivia? Would Olivia be a pest and not leave them alone? Would the big girls fight and end up with the friend wanting to go home before the scheduled time?

What would I feed them?

But you know what? It was fine.

The big girls were so kind to Olivia and she was so excited to be included in their play that she did whatever they told her to do.

They entertained themselves from 10:30 until 5:00, which is when I took the friend home and the girls to Burger King because they were hungry and I'd painted all day so cooking was not my friend.

Bedtime? Was uneventful. Olivia fell asleep beside me on the couch while I watched America's Next Top Model. What? Okay, so I have several 'guilty pleasure' television shows. What of it?

Alyssa followed me upstairs at 9:00 when I carried Olivia up. I told her I was going to take a bath and that she, Alyssa, could lay with Olivia if she wanted or she could stay downstairs with her dad.

She took option one and was asleep next to her sister before I'd even started the bath water.

So for every bad day, I'm going to say we have at least three good ones.

And I need to remember that. When the day is grim, when the night is long, I need to remind myself that it always gets better. Because it does. It always gets better and usually sooner rather than later.

2 comments:

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

How sweet!!! A seems like such a good big sister! And it seems like she is already surrounding herself with good friends! It seemed like a really good day. And I am glad that it all went well.

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

PS I love the new photo!!