Monday, March 14, 2011

Perfect One Zero

My mom is amazing with my girls.

Alyssa is her first-born grandchild and my mother has doted on her since before she was born. I've barely had to buy clothes for either of my girls because of my mother's tendancy to anticipate their wardrobe needs before I can even think about going shopping.

She's amazing.

When we realized that Olivia was going to need four therapies a week, my mom retired from her job so she could stay home and watch Olivia four days a week.

Olivia spent every Monday at home with Tom where she had speech and physical therapies.

The other two therapies, occupational and developmental, were spread out at my mom's. We were so lucky to be able to pull from the pools of therapists in several different counties. Olivia got the best ones, the ones that worked best with her pesonality.

Since Olivia aged out of First Steps, Indiana's early intervention program, my mom has kind of taken over her occupational, speech and developmental therapies.

We've been using gymnastics for her physical therapy for almost a year now.

A couple of weeks ago, my mom was working with Olivia on her numbers. O's pretty good. She recognizes most numbers and counts past twenty these days.

My mom was attempting to combine occupational therapy (for fine motor skills) with the number play by having Olivia put puzzles together. My mom had written numbers on the puzzle pieces and then put the same number on the board where the piece was supposed to go.

Olivia was doing well.

My mom showed O a specific puzzle piece and said, "See Livie, this one has a one and a zero."

Olivia looked at the puzzle piece, the board and then back at my mom. She took the puzzle piece out of my mom's hand and rolled her eyes. She then declared, "Gram, that's not a one and a zero. That's a ten."

Yes, I think my mom might just be the best therapist EVER. OR least, the best one for Olivia.

How lucky am I that my girls get to have this woman in their lives? So very, very lucky indeed.

3 comments:

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

bahahahahhahahahahahah that is too cute!! She is a doll! How lucky to have such a wonderful mom/grandma. Did you mom do therapy before? I bet O and A just loves loves loves their grandma!

Brittany said...

I would love to know more about all of the different therapies that Olivia is involved in and what you found to be most beneficial. We are just really starting therapies with Lily and I like to get an idea of what we should expect.

Sarah said...

Wow! Olivia is amazing!!! i loev her nick-name too... Livie is so perfect. My daughter can't count past 10 yet.. sometimes she does every once in a while. What a cute little smartie!