Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Suffering for Fashion

Olivia and I were inthe waiting room at the gym where the girls take gymnastics classes on Monday evening, just sitting, chatting with the other moms, listening to Olivia sing at the top of her lungs (she likes the newest Pink song, the edited version of Perfect) and one of the moms asked me what size clothes Olivia wears.

I told her and she said, "I hope you're not offended by this offer, but I have several outfits in my car that my youngest has outgrown and I'd love to give them to you."

Free clothes? Definitely not offended.

When we got home from gymnastics that night, Olivia was wiped out. She'd fallen asleep on the drive home and slept through me taking her out of her carseat, carrying her into the house, taking her coat and boots off. I put her to bed without even bothering to take the bag of clothes out of my car.

The next morning as I was getting Olivia out of the car at my mom's I saw the clothes and decided to take them in with us.

Olivia fell in love with the following outfit.



She immediately changed out of her red shirt, black and red plaid vest and black pants and put this outfit on. The shoes were part of the stash we'd been given.

After wearing the shoes for a few minutes, she declared, "These shoes are so, so tight."

And she took them off.

I don't think they were actually all that tight. But after a winter of wearing snow boots and moccasin-style boots, the shoes were definitely tighter than she was used to.

But after another few mintues, she decided to try the shoes on again. And decided, "They're not so tight."

I'm not sure if she decided that fashion and beauty are more important than comfort or if they really aren't so tight. But she wore that outfit all day long, including the shoes.

This child is all about coordinating her clothes and accessorizing. She's in constant dismay that I don't wear jewelry or fancy shoes, or dresses. Ooh, she so wants me to wear dresses.

And while I know she didn't get her impeccable fashion sense from me, I'm glad she's got it because it makes her happy to coordinate and accessorize and be beautiful. It makes her Olivia and that's pretty darned special. And hey, trying on clothes all day long is excellent occupational therapy, right?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Awww she looks so cute!

Lauren said...

Love it.

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

I know I am kinda random. But I have been following your blog since my niece was diagnosed with 5p. Anways I just have to leave a comment to tell you how darling she is!!! I love this outfit and I love that she loves it so much. Also I love the way you write. You are very talented and creative with the way you articulate each sentence. Hope you don't mind that I follow your blog.