Friday, March 18, 2011

Orders

Alyssa starts soccer practice next week.


We signed her up for outdoor soccer because she really enjoyed the indoor soccer league we had her in about a year ago. She likes to run and be with other kids so...soccer it is.

But we still have a couple of months of gymnastics left.

I got the call from her coach earlier this week that she'll have practice on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 5:30 to 6:30. When I signed A up for this league, I wrote that Mondays and Thursdays are bad for us because of gynmastics.

The coach said she understood that we can't be there on Thursdays and just practicing on Tuesday is fine.

Except...wait a minute. Two kids plus two parents equals one parent to each kid. And hey, a look in the garage reminds me that we have two vehicles too.

So guess what? Tom gets to take Alyssa to soccer practice on Thursdays while I take Olivia to gymnastics.

When I first pointed out the scheduling conflict to Tom he didn't jump in and volunteer to take A to her soccer practice.

Instead, he suggested, "Maybe it's time to give up gymnastics."

The look I gave him at that silenced him pretty quickly. First, gymnastics for O is THERAPY as far as I'm concerned, so no, we're not giving it up right now. Second? How could either of us justify making O give up gymnastics, a thing she loves doing, so that I can take her sister to soccer practice? Especially when that soccer practice is the SECOND one of the week?


We can't.

And so we won't.

When I suggested the above scenario to Tom (the one where he takes A on Thursdays while I take O) he kind of hemmed and hawed until I asked, "Why do I feel like I'm inconveniencing you?"

He shook his head, "I don't know. Why are you even asking me to take her? Why don't you just tell me to do it and we'd all be happy."

Yeah...why don't I just tell him how it will be?

It's taken me over eight years of marriage to realize that I've been doing it wrong all this time. I should have been telling him what to do all along and we'd all be happy.

Huh...who'd have thunk it?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

My boyfriend is just like that. It drives me NUTS!!!

so happy to ehar though that A gets to start soccer practice! she looks so spiffy.

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

hahahhah this was funny! I am so glad there was a solution, now both girls will have something to look forward to on the weekdays with out having to loose something else.

Lauren said...

Lol!

It's so true. Sure it would be nice for them to put 2 and 2 together and do the right thing.. but lets not hold our breathe.

;)
Lauren