Friday, April 1, 2011

Maturity

Alyssa's kindergarten year was a good one. She was a lot like me in that she wanted to do well, she wanted to please her teacher, she was quiet, did her work and didn't cause trouble.

She's not uqite like that at home, but, well, she's comfortable here, she can act out and know it'll be okay.

But in kindergarten, she was feeling her way.

We met another mom and her daughter early on with whom we both hit it off. Alyssa liked the little girl and the other mom and I got along well.

We decided to carpool. Since I had to be at work at 8:00 each morning, I picked up the little girl and we were going to have her mom pick the girls up each afternoon and she'd either meet my mom or take A all the way to my mom's house.

And the pick ups each morning were fine. They went off without a hitch.

The drop offs in the afternoons? Didn't happen.

Alyssa was terrified of getting into a car with someone other than me, my mom, Tom or my step dad. So we didn't push it.

I know, it sounds like she's quite the indulged kid.

I was willing to push her, to make her accept the arrangement. But my mom was willing and able to pick her up each day, so the carpool didn't happen so much as I just picked up a second kindergartener each day.

The mom and I still get along well. She's a great lady. And her daughters are lovely. Alyssa still loves the older daughter and Olivia and the younger daughter eyeball each other with smiles whenever we run into each other when we're out and about.

The summer after first grade, Alyssa did end up riding with J and her mom back to their house, spending about two hours with them WITHOUT me while I went and picked up Olivia. And it was fine. Sure, she was so happy/relieved to see me when I got to their house that she burst into tears. But it really was fine.

It's usually is.

But this past week showed a whole new, more mature side of Alyssa.

At Tuesday's soccer practice, her best friend's mom and I were talking. We decided it was silly for us both to drive the twenty miles to soccer practice twice a week. We decided to carpool. I'll take them on Tuesdays and S's mom will take them on Thursdays.

When we announced it to Alyssa and her friend S, they were thrilled.

I know!! My daughter was thrilled.

When we got into my car to come home I asked her if she was really okay with the arrangement. Alyssa looked at me like I was crazy and shrugged. "Sure," she said casually. "As long as I'm with S, I'll be fine."

And she was. S and her mom arrived right on time on Thursday, just as Olivia and I were walking out the door to go to gymnastics. Alyssa hopped into their car as if she's ridden in cars with friends and their moms for years.

It was great. An amazing show of maturity.

My girl is growing up. I couldn't be more proud.

1 comment:

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

Isn't it funny to see how it can change over night for them? Kids are so amazing like that! It is fun to watch them grow and grow into themselves.