Sunday, April 10, 2011

Touches of Home

Lilacs have been my favorite flower since forever. The house I grew up on had a row of lilac trees growing along the back year, a sort of natural border between our yard and the neighbors. I always knew that spring had finallhy sprung when the scent of lilacs filled the air. There's nothing fresher, sweeter.

Since Tom and I got married in October, I didn't get to have lilacs as a flower in my wedding.

But the very next spring, he bought me a lilac tree to plant in the yard of the home we'd purchased just before we got married.

I was so happy. It felt like we were putting our touches in both the yard and the house. Over the years that we lived there, I planted five more lilac trees. I always anticipated the blooms, knowing that spring was finally here.

Today was one of the first really nice days of the season around here.

Yesterday at A's soccer game, it was all of 45 degrees. I'd dressed Olivia in knee socks, jeans with a flannel lining, a turtle neck shirt, a hooded sweatshirt and her winter coat. She still snuggled against me beneath my coat in an effort to get warm.

After A's game, we headed into town for lunch.

Once our tummies were full, we went to Rural King, a local farm supply story.

I saw a lilac tree on sale for $12.99. It was big enough that it already had blooms. It was beautiful. I had to have it.

I brought it home and walked it around the yard, trying to figure out just where it belong in this, our new home.

This morning dawned foggy but warm. The girls and I went back into town and hit the parks before coming home to plant our lilac. While in town, I found another lilac tree, smaller than the first, but also cheaper. Again, I couldn't resist.

When we got home, both of those trees found a place in the ground near our back deck. I know they'll bring us much pleasure in the years to come.

It feels good to put touches of yourself into both the inside and the outside of your home. It's what will make this place truly our home.

I realize that lilacs may not be my girls' favorite flowers, but they just might always bring back memories of home. And I think that would be lovely.

3 comments:

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

That sounds amazing! I know exactly what you mean. There are certain things... smells or objects that trigger memories and I am totally with you. They just make you feel warm and fuzzy. I wish you were able to have them at your wedding. But I am so glad that you were able to plant them. Your girls may not love them now, but when they are older they will love that Lilacs remind them of you. I know that is how I feel about my mom's favorite things.

Anonymous said...

Aww. I love lilacs as well and the scent brings on similar warm-fuzzies for me. :)

I love that you were able to find a place for those in your new home and I hope that they bring all the fond memories and many many new ones to you and your sweet family.

Love,
Page

Tiffany said...

I. love. lilacs. !!!