Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Non-fight

So last night was weird.

Well, okay, the whole day was long and sort of stressful.

After the dentist, the girls and I stopped by the McD's drive-thru for drinks/soft food. Alyssa got a cup of vanilla ice cream, Olivia wanted a strawberry shake and I just got a coke.

Then we headed north and stopped in to order a new social security card for me. I know...whatever.

By then, the girls' lips/cheeks were almost over being numb from the dentist, so we got some lunch.

We drove into our driveway at about 2:30, just long enough for Alyssa to grab her scooter, me to give Olivia her antibiotic and then we headed to my mom's so the girls could play with Jaxon for a couple of hours.

We left my mom's at 5:30 and headed to A's gymnastics class.

We got home from that at about 7:30.

All in all, we'd been gone from the house for over ten hours. Tom had spent the day working on his chainsaw, which I think frustrated him because it's STILL not working right.

The minute we walked in the door, both girls declared they were hungry.

I told them to give me a minute and I'd get them something to eat.

I ran upstairs to gather pajamas and clothes for the next morning. I hate rushing about in the morning so I like to have things laid out already.

When I got back downstairs, Tom had fixed them both Spaghetti-Ohs. Which...ick. But whatever, they both like them a lot and according to the commercials they have a serviving of vegetables. So...spaghetti-ohs it is.

Next I settled in at the desk to write yesterday's post about the dentist. I only got about halfway through before Olivia was demanding that I hold her.

Tom tried to distract her but she was having none of that.

So I put my computer time on hold and rocked her to sleep. I did so in the family room where I had Dancing with the Stars on at low volume.

Alyssa wandered in at about 8:15 and I suggested to her that we just go to bed. I knew I could get her to sleep in just a few minutes and rejoin DwtS before it was over.

Off to bed we went. I headed up the stairs with Olivia already asleep in my arms (thank goodness she still only weighs 33 pounds, huh?) and calling for Alyssa to follow me.

A few minutes later, she and Tom arrived, she'd made him carry her up.

Not even ten minutes later, I was back down stairs, picking up clothes to take to the basement to be washed and putting dirty dishes into the dishwasher.

Then I settled down to watch the stars dance again. Except, during the commercials, I headed to the living room where the computer is so I could continue typing my post.

During one such batch of commercials, I was sitting at the computer when Tom got up, stalked into the kitchen and a few minutes later, stalked back into the living room and settled onto the couch where he was watching Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

I didn't think anything of it. Maybe he'd had to pee (the bathroom is just off the kitchen.)

When I went back to the family room, found that the television was off.

That explained the stalking around. He'd turned off the tv since I wasn't in the room. I didn't bother to talk to him about it. I just turned it back on, watched my show, turned the tv back off and went to bed.

About fifteen minutes later, Tom came to the bedroom and kissed me goodnight, mumbling something about missing me when I'd crossed in front of the couch earlier.

I hadn't crossed in front of the couch earlier. But I didn't bother to tell him that. I just said goodnight very sweetly and let him leave the room.

Now...I get the whole idea of energy conservation and turning off lights in rooms not being used. But it was a commercial. I was going right back in there. Sure, he may not have known that.

And he might have been annoyed that I hadn't bothered to cook anything for dinner last night. I'd mentioned that we had leftover spaghetti (not Oh's) but I didn't warm it up for either of us. I didn't eat dinner either.

Maybe he was annoyed that he'd had to feed the girls. But you know what? Big flipping deal! I'd take care of everything for them ALL DAY LONG. So he had to head up a can of Spaghetti-Ohs in the microwave.

Anyway, it wasn't even a fight so much as an...incident.

And it doesn't even matter. Everything was fine this morning, as if nothing incidental had happened at all. We were good. We are good. Even though we both have off days. It's just sort of sad when our off days happen to be the same day, I guess. But that is the way of marriage, right? We have ups and downs and it's getting through both that show you just what the marriage is made of. I think the fact that we both felt MUCH better after a good night sleep means we're going to be just fine.

1 comment:

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

UGH, it can be hard when you both have your off days. I feel ya sistah! hhahah Thanks for sharing!