Friday, September 9, 2011

Associations

The other day I wore a pair of red shoes to work. They were so comfortable. It was like wearing slippers. I got several compliments and comments on my lovely red shoes.

Near the end of the day one of my co-workers mention that my red shoes reminded him of a song by Don Henley. I think.

I gave him a blank look.

He was quick to assure me that there was nothing bad about the song.

I nodded and said, “Yeah, I’m a big dork. I have no idea who that is.”

He looked at me like I’d said I’d never heard of Ben and Jerry’s.

I told him, “I was a big nerd in high school. I listened to music by Barry Manilow and Air Supply.”

He stood there for a minute, just looking at me, as if waiting for the punch line. Then he said, “You serious?”

Oh yes, I’m serious. A very serious dork in comfy red shoes. I own my dorkdom.
--------------
Not quite related but funny none the less.

After school yesterday, she and Jaxon were sitting my mom’s kitchen table, eating lemons. Yes, the children in our family like to eat lemons the way other people eat oranges.

Jaxon was so glad to have Olivia home he was beside himself as he sat there with her. When he got to my mom’s house earlier that day, he asked of Livia was there. My mom told him that Olivia was at school but the bus would be bringing her home soon.

His eyes got huge and he asked in awe, “Is Livia big?” (I kind of love that he calls her Livia.)

As he and Olivia continued to enjoy their lemons he took a moment to declare, “Me and Livia are eating womens!”

Olivia looked at him, put her lemon down, placed her hands on her hips and informed him, “No. We are NOT eating ladies.”

Ha!! The fact that she was correcting his very age-appropriate speech impediment is funny. But the best part was her association of the worlds ‘womens’ and ‘ladies.’ She made the jump from one word to one its synonyms correctly. My girl is proving so many doctors wrong. She is seriously awesome, especially as she becomes the grammar geek of the preschool set.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

I love it! I love when these kids prove the doctors wrong!!

Julie said...

I want some comfy red shoes!! And I know who Don Henley is but I have no idea what song he's talking about. Bring those shoes to SU.

Anonymous said...

Ha! I love it! Amazing, big 'Livia'.

Comfy red shoes? I did not know they existed... awesome.

P.S. Don Henly. I don't know him either, if that makes you feel better. I'd probably recognize some of his songs, but I'd have no idea who was singing it.

Anonymous said...

That song about shoes that your co-worker was talking about... I was trying to think what it could have been... too much time on my hands perhaps? I was at a wedding dance last night and asked my b-i-l who seems to know a whole lot of songs and artists. He said the only Don Henly song he could think of was "Those Shoes" by the Eagles.

... Just in case it was bugging you. :p

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

AWESOME O!!! And I think every woman should own a pair of red shoes... especially if they are comfy ones!!!

Also Congrats on the 20.5lbs!!! That is so freaking awesome. I hope you are so proud of your progress and commitment! It is always hard to make that sacrifice.