Saturday, September 10, 2011

Shopping Spree

This morning started with the typical early waking of Olivia. Okay, wait. She actually slept later than usual. She slept until 6:30ish instead of 5:45ish.

She and Alyssa finally managed to wheedle me out of bed at 7:10.

I told them that at some point, we had to go to town. Just for a few things from the grocery store.

We made our way through the morning, Olivia making a mess with lip gloss, Alyssa watching a movie featuring horses and replaying the action with her Barbies and Breyer horses.

I did load after load of laundry, cleaned three toilets and two entire bathrooms (the guest room didn't actually need to be cleaned, though the toilet did get scrubbed because once I'm cleaning toilets, I just want to get them all done on the same day so I won't have to spend even one other day cleaning even a single toilet.)

Byt 11:00, the girls were in the tub and I was hanging a curtain rod. Yes, yes, I STILL haven't hung those curtains in the master bedroom. But I did get a single rod hung today, so I'm calling that progress. Go me.

I called my mom and mentioned that my reward to myself for losing 20 pounds was to get my hair trimmed and wondered outloud whether I was brave enough to take both girls with me to do so. Oh yes, did I mention that I've managed to lose 20 pounds? Yes, yes I have. 20.5 to be exact. Again, go me.

My mom called back about a half hour later, as I was making the girls lunch plates (black olives, turkey, strawberries and Ramen noodles, yes we go all out at our house.) She said that if I wanted her to go to town with us so she could take the girls while I got my hair trimmed she was more than willing to do so. But she also mentioned that she didn't really think my hair needs trimmed. It's currently longer than it's been since Alyssa was about a year old. It's also been over a year since I had it cut/trimmed. But...moms do tend to know these things.

I took her up on her offer to go to town with us, mentioning that we didn't really have anywhere to go, nor did we need all that much even from the grocery store.

The girls and I were heading to her house a half hour later.

On the drive, Alyssa mentioned she was hungry. Hello, she'd had her lunch plate less than 45 minutes ago. We stalled her by heading to the highway and going two towns over where there's a consignment store that specializes in kids' clothes.

Yes! I spent just less than $20 for pajamas for Alyssa, a tank top each and a shirt for Alyssa. Oh yes, I also bought Alyssa a Junie B. book. She freaking loves those books. They make her laugh out loud, which amuses me to no end.

From there, we went to the Salvation Army, where I bought myself a book and Alyssa got a compass. I don't know why, she just wants to always know which way is north.

By this time, Olivia was chanting, "Lyssie and I are hungry." Yes, she does always use the proper pronoun when speaking. She is my kid, after all.

We went to McD's and fed the girls. And what do you know, they really were hungry. They both ate more of their happy meals than they usually do.

Finally, we made it to Walmart. And the girls and I followed my mom to the clearance aisle. I found sheets for the girls bunkbeds (I really can't wait until Tom gets mattresses!), curtains for their room, candles that smell just delightful, a blue shirt for Alyssa that we're going to paint to make her a Bombers shirt for Fridays at school. I also got those thingies you put in the toilet tank in hopes of stalling the next episode of toilet cleaning. Alyssa got some face paint, Olivia got a white shirt that we're going to paint so she can also have a Bombers shirt on Fridays.

And!! We bought the groceries we had on our list. A final extra was some gum that tastes like apple pie. After seeing Olivia's face when she tried it, I'm not nearly brave enough to try it myself. She spit that stuff out so fast I had to chase the pieces down in order to throw them away.

We didn't roll into our garage until after 7:00 this evening. It was a long afternoon but absolutely worth it.

Once I get those curtains hung in the girls' room and the other curtain rod and curtains hung in the master bedroom I'll take pictures to show how far we've come. The girls' room is still a work in progress but at least we are making progress.

For now, though, I have to take two sleeping girls to bed. They're both crashed out on the couch, which means I have to carry them both to bed. Good thing I'm getting to better shape, they're both getting bigger. I'm going to have to say that we definitely shopped till they dropped.

No comments: