Saturday, December 10, 2011

Dumb

That's me. Dumb.

Who in their right mind (read: smart mind) takes her children with her to go Christmas shopping? Me, that's who.

Because I'm dumb.

Okay, so I wasn't necessarily shopping for their gifts but do you know how annoying it can be to have two kids in a mall, clamoring to ride the carousel, wanting to play in the play area, chirping, "I'm hungry." every ten minutes?

Yes, it's that annoying. But what was I going to do?

Oh, that's right, smart moms leave the kids home with Dad. Alas, he had an auction to attend this morning. Got to buy stuff so he can sell it and all that.

So off we went to the mall. And you know what?

It wasn't that bad. We had a nice time.

I crossed quite a few things off my list, even managing to get a couple of things for the very girls who were with me. And they weren't even aware of it. Go me!

When we got home, I snuck everything in the house while Alyssa wrapped the ornaments we're taking to Indy tomorrow for our Ugly Sweater/Gift-Cookie Exchange/Tea Party. Should be a grand time.

And now Alyssa's cutting stars out of sugar cookie dough, Olivia's sound asleep on the couch and I'm ready to put this day to rest, knowing we managed to wring the very best out of it.

This evening, as we were driving home from the mall and discussing our trip tomorrow, Alyssa asked if we could have just one weekend where we don't go anywhere. I promised, "Next weekend, Sweetie. Next weekend."

And we're going to do our best to honor that promise.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Wow, you make my party sound very complicated. :) Can't wait to see you in a few hours even though my house is messy and no cookies have been baked.

Should Not Operate Heavy Machinery said...

They want to stay home?!? My kids are the complete opposite! they are always bugging me to go places. I must be way more boring than you!

Tiffany said...

It depends on the day whether or not I like my kids shopping with me!