Saturday, December 3, 2011

Then the Tree Fell Down

On the bright side, we get to decorate the Christmas tree for a second time this season. At least according to Alyssa, that's the bright side.

Yesterday evening when the girls and I got home, we were so glad that Friday evening had finally come. We all stomped in from the garage, ready for our weekend to start. I'm sure Tom is always so glad to hear the commotion of his family coming home from a long day.

I went upstairs for something. I don't remember what at this point because it doesn't matter.

While I was up there, I heard a bit of a crash and Tom asked loudly, "What were you doing?"

As I started down the stairs, Alyssa was heading up them.

Tom was attempting to pick up the fallen Christmas tree and Olivia was watching the entire spectacle in awe.

I asked them what happened.

Tom didn't know. He said that Alyssa was looking out the window behind the tree, the tree fell and she took off faster than...well, something really fast.

Alyssa shrugged. She said, "I touched one of the bulbs and then it fell."

Tom and I tried to put the leg of the tree stand back on but I announced it was broken. As in, not going to go back together.

We took all of the ornaments off the tree as it leaned against a corner, looking for all the world like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree before the love of the Christmas Spirit brightened it.

This morning, Tom called me and told me to price Christmas trees at Walmart. Then he called about a half hour later and announced that he'd fixed the tree stand. We can wait until the trees go on clearance to get a new one.

Whew!

I have since put another strand of lights on the tree and we'll be putting the ornaments back on this evening.

And better still? Jaxon will be here for the evening so his dad can go on a date. The girls love having that boy around and it will be that much more fun to have a third child to help put the ornaments on the tree. Maybe he'll pick one side and Olivia will pick another and we can have a bunch of ornaments on the lower third of the tree but this time, not just one one side.

See? There is a bright side to every story.

2 comments:

Just another mom said...

Love it! Our kitty knocked ours down a couple of years ago! It was quite the fiasco but the kids did have fun decorating it for the second time!

Anonymous said...

Oh, those silly ornaments that knock down the tree with just a little touch!

I love the ornaments clustered in various heights on the tree. When my older ones were little, it used to drive me nuts. I'd gradually do a little rearranging as the days passed. But as the years go by I appreciate the areas of imperfection more and more as they are beginning to disappear.

Glad Tom was able to fix the tree!

Hugs and love,
Page