Thursday, December 8, 2011

When 'Nice' isn't Enough

Once upon a time, I was very confident of the validity of my own opinions. Way back when I was in high school and even college, I very much owned my thoughts and I wasn’t afraid to voice them, so confident was I that I was right.

Where did that girl go? When did I become a passive-aggressive, ‘nice’ person who worried more about the opinions of other than about standing up for myself and my own opinions?

I had that I no longer stand up for myself. I hate that I just stand there when someone else is spouting off nonsense.

I want to be that strong girl I once was. No, wait. I want to be the strong woman that girl was destined to be before she suddenly became scared of offending people.

I was so self-confident when I was seventeen years old. Oh, sure, I had some body image issues, but I never doubted my intelligence. I never doubted that I knew what was right and wrong. And I was never, ever afraid to tell others if I thought what they were doing was wrong.

Take me to when I was twenty-five and suddenly I was shy, reserved, unsure of my own place in the world. These days? I’m a little better than I was when I was twenty-five, but nowhere near where my confidence level at seventeen.

Of course, there is the fact that most seventeen year olds think they know everything. Perhaps I grew up and realized that I don’t know everything.

But I want some of that self-righteousness back. I want that confidence in my own sense of right and wrong back. I want that voice back.

Obviously, I don’t want to go out and start fights, ignoring the rights of other people, but I don’t want to continue to walk away when someone is being an idiot. I want to remember what it was like to have a sense of entitlement, a sense that I have a right to my own opinion and a right to voice it.

I want to model that behavior for my daughters. I don’t want them to grow up with a weak, meely-mouthed mother. I want them to know that we women have ideas, thoughts, rights and we have the right to share those things with the world.

I’m on a journey of self-discovery, of finding who I am and who I want to be. It’s obviously going to be a struggle, but I know it will be worth it when I find that opinionated, strong seventeen year old who is probably going crazy inside this passive-aggressive, ‘nice’ forty-one year old brain.

I kind of feel sorry for those around me as I work toward finding my strong self again. They’re in for a few surprises, I think.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Just a dork fact. Some of that change from the teenage solid opinions to adult gray is that as a teenager your frontal lobe isn't actually fully formed yet, so you think you know right from wrong and everything because your brain doesn't yet have the capacity to think at it's fullest power.

I know. Total dork. It is really interesting to read about though. And it's partly why youtube is filled with teenagers doing stupid things with skateboards and fireworks... nooo ability to see consequences a few actions out! ;)

Discover on momma!
L

Lauren said...

Of course then it's starts to over think and be filled with rather useless facts! ;)

Tiffany said...

Self-discovery is never fun. I hope you get there.