Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Magic

I love that Alyssa, just weeks short of being nine years old, still believes in the magic of Santa. I love that she gets excited at the thought of seeing him outside on Christmas Eve. I love that she knows that he manages to make all his stops because he’s magic.

Magic can be used to explain almost everything.

Magic doesn’t have to be logical or realistic. It’s magic.

And that’s what this season has been so far, magical. Even with having to put the tree up a second time, we’ve had so many magical moments.

One evening on the way home, the girls and I were looking at all the pretty lights our neighbors had hung. As we approached our house, I pointed out how pretty that house was.

Alyssa exclaimed, “That’s OUR house! Daddy put up lights!”

And he had. He’d put lights on our deck and along the front porch. It was so pretty. It was magical.

Alyssa asked me the other day if Santa stops at Grammy and Pawpaw’s house.

I told her that he probably didn’t. I explained that even though he’s got magic on his side, he probably needs to only stop at houses where kids live.

She liked that answer.

I hope to hold on to the magic for her a little longer. I want her to know magic, to appreciate it.

There is so much magic in this world. We just have to look for it. The rain falling from the sky, the sun shining down on us, each individual snowflake, all magical.

Friendships, family, love. Magic. Sugar cookies with sparkling frosting, little fingers sticky from ‘helping’ make those cookies. Magic is in the very dough that is used to make those cookies.

God, Jesus, his very birth, life, death and resurrection, the most important magic of all.

Maybe all it takes to make magic is to believe in it. If you don’t believe, it’s not there but if you do, wow, the things you get to see, the love you get to experience.

I hope this holiday season is magical for each and every one of you out there. Magic is there, waiting to be experienced, waiting to drench you in its effervescence.

No comments: