Monday, December 5, 2011

My Big Girl

This weekend, Olivia told me she had to potty. This is actually nothing new these days. She has fewer accidents than she does successes as far as the potty goes. So yay!

So off we headed to the bathroom and obviously one of the other three people in the household had used that bathroom since the last time Olivia had because her Cushie Tushie (the padded ring that goes over the toilet seat to make it smaller and softer for tiny butts) was no longer sitting on the toilet.

She declared, “I don’t need my Cushie Tushie. I’m a big girl.” Then she pulled down her pants, climbed onto the toilet sans the Cushie Tushie. She also didn’t have to use her step stool to position herself on the toilet.

She went, wiped, climbed down, flushed and washed her hands, all without any prompting from me.

Big girl indeed.

This morning was a rarity for me. The alarm went off at 5:50 (not the rare part) and I woke to realize that Olivia hadn’t woken in the night and joined me in my bed where she usually proceeds to push and nudge and kick and elbow her way into owning two thirds of the bed. It was quite refreshing to have the bed to myself.

I got up and managed to be in the shower before anyone joined me in the bathroom. I called out, “Good morning!” to the intruder because that’s just how I am in the morning. Ha! Okay, not so much. But I did call out to her (knowing it had to be A or O.)

I got no response. I called out again. Again, nothing.

I opened the shower door and peeked out. I found a tiny naked butt staring back at me. Olivia had walked into the bathroom, taken off her pull-up, peed in the toilet and was preparing to flush when I looked out at her.

Oh yes, she’s definitely big.

Once I was out of the shower, I handed O her underwear. She always wears underwear on Mondays when she’s off to Gram’s house. She put them on without assistance.

I then tossed her socks at her and they were donned again, without fuss. I did help her with her pants because, well, I was dressed by then and yes, she’s a very easy child to baby.

But her independence streak is getting wider and wider and I couldn’t be prouder of the things my big girl is figuring out all by herself.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Amazing, amazing, amazing!!!