Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Nope (Unless the Answer is Yes)

This year I am not going to make any resolutions. Nope, not gonna do it.

Do I want to lose weight and be healthier? Sure. But am I going to try and make it happen by ‘resolving’ to do so? Nope.

Will I try to drink more water because I know it’s better for my skin and my metabolism? Sure. But am I going to make a resolution about staying hydrated? Nope.

Am I beating myself up over all of this? Nope.

Maybe that needs to be my word for 2017…Nope. I want to nope out of guilt and negative self-talk. I want to nope out of things I don’t want to do and yes my way into things that are fun and good for me and my family.

Alyssa and I have been invited to join a community band. My band director from when I was in high school ran into my mom at Kohl’s, they spent some time catching up and then he gave her his number to give to me. When I didn’t call after a couple of days, he found me at work and mentioned that he directs a community band a couple of towns over from us. He said that he needs flute players and would like for me and Alyssa to join them.

I laughed and reminded him that I haven’t played my flute (not really, like as in played an actual song) in almost thirty years. He told me I would pick it up way faster than I realized. We’ll see.

I think this would be awesome for Alyssa if only because it would give her more opportunity to play her flute and her piccolo and it would be so awesome for her to work with this director. Of all the teachers I’ve had in all my years of being educated, this man was my favorite. He was the one who showed me that I had a lot to offer. He taught me that I had a lot to be confident about. He reminded me that hard work paid off and that even if I was never going to be the best out of everyone, if I gave the best of me, well, that was enough.

I want that for Alyssa. I want her to see how amazing she is and how much hard work can do for her. I want to tap into her self-confidence and see it grow.

So we’re not going to Nope out of this community band because I think it will be worth the half hour drive to practices once a week and the time away from Liv and Tom and you know what? They’ll be fine because they’re awesome too.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm so glad you decided to do it! I can't wait to hear more.