Thursday, May 26, 2011

All-You-Can-Eat Buffet

I went to our local Great Wall Chinese buffet place and got myself WAY too much food to go. Ugh!! Now I feel gross.

I sort of hope that the mosquitoes that have been having a go at my daughters feel the same way.

I hope those buggers feel bloated and gassy and sort of like they might like to throw up just to feel better.

The last month of so of almost non-stop rain has really made for fertile breeding grounds for the mosquitoes here in the Midwest.

I kill several on me each time I'm outside but so far I've had no noticable bites.

Alyssa and Olivia? Those poor things are just bumpy and itchy and miserable.

Olivia, the queen of no self-control, has scratched herself bloody in a few places.

This afternoon, before I went and picked up too much food for my lunch, I made a quick trip to the local WalMart for mosquito-bite supplies.

First, I actually bought repellant because, duh, what better way to deal with bites than to avoid them in the first place, right? Right.

I even went so far as to get repellant with Deet. I know. It's bad. But it's also very, very effective. And after I'm done writing this little piece of brilliance (ha!) I'm going to go google deet and see what makes it so bad. So yes, even though I don't even know why it's bad or how it's bad, I bought it. Because it not only repels mosquitoes but it also repels ticks. Because ticks? Ugh!!!! Nasty little suckers.

Because there are already bites covering much of my girls' bodies, I also bought Benadryl cream to help with the itching. I hope it actually works. They seem to be affectived by the fact that the bite happened, so knowing there is cream on the bite might not take away the emotional itch they seem to suffer from.

And for Olivia's bloody arm? I got some gauze and self-adhesive bandaging. Bandaids irritate her skin, just making the wound bigger and bloodier and just plain worse. So we're going to wrap the worst of the bites in gauze and hope her itchy little fingers can't make their way under it in the dark of the night.

I'm hoping to shut down the mosquito all-you-can-eat buffet that are my daughters.

Note to mosquitoes: I'm doing this for you. I don't want you to eat so much that you feel like crap for the rest of the day. I can't seem to do this for myself, so I'll help you show a little restraint.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

I didn't know deet was bad, I thought it was a good thing. I guess I better go google it right too...

Tiffany said...

We are all covered in bites too!!! I don't know what makes Deet so bad either...

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

UGH!!! Those things are so rude!!! I mean I really would not mind sharing my blood, especailly because the ones that bite are only female pregnant mosquitos... but why do they have to itch?!? WWWWHHHHY?!?!

I have heard both good and bad things about deet, so I am glad you shared that.

I really hope they go away for you guys soon. They are miserable... and when you are sleeping and you hear them buzzing by your ear. MISERABLE!!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

PS do you guys get fireflies? Those are pretty special!

PPS Ticks are horrible creatures too. Actually I can't stand any insect!!!