Saturday, May 21, 2011

That Girl

When I decided to sign Olivia up for gymnastics classes in lieu of private or even school sponsored physical therapy, I knew I'd have to sign Alyssa up.

How could I tell my older daughter that she couldn't take a class that others her age were taking when her little sister was taking such a class? How could I have told her that, hey, you're 'normal', you don't need therapy, you're already coordinated and strong?

I couldn't. And I knew the class couldn't hurt her. It would probably even help her.

Alyssa's always been coordinated and strong. She walked at ten and a half months old. She's always been very confident about what her body could do.

But again, just because she had these things going for her, I couldn't deny her gymnastics classes.

I've worried probably a bit obsessively these past couple of years that Alyssa could get lost in all of Olivia's 'specialness'.

I kind of figured putting them both in gymnastics was sort of a benefit to her for having a special-needs sister.

Like Olivia, Alyssa had a gymnastics recital this past week.

And like Olivia, Alyssa was amazing in it.

She's so attentive when listening to her coach. She stands there, all straight and strong. She looks the coaches in the eye, she listens and then she tries to do what they ask of her.

She was this way during soccer too. She was always right up front, trying to get the coach's attention so that she'd be the first one picked to go in and play.

I love this about her. It's SO different from me and my own lack of atheletic prowess. I took a few tumbling classes and even a karate class (I took it because of a boyfriend but my very mild sense of competition pushed me to be better than he was. That boded well for the relationship.)

I was the kid in gym class during the war ball (dodge ball to anyone outside of north eastern Indiana) games who waited until a few people had been eliminated and announced that I'd been hit by a stray ball. I hated war ball.

Alyssa LOVES dodge ball. She says she's not so good at the throwing part but she's most excellent at the dodging part. I love that.

My girl has mastered handstands, carthwheels, one-handed cartwheels, backward rolls. She's able to stay in sinc with the other girls and listens to the musical cues.

They were awesome. I know I'm a little biased but SHE was awesome.

My girl is growing up and finding her own way.

I'm just lucky to be along for the ride, to be allowed to hold her as she falls asleep every few nights. I love that even as she grows up she's staying my baby just a little longer. My high-flying, cartwheeling baby who loved being up there performing for an audience.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

I love gymnastics for the kids. I always thought it was so amazing that it could benefit both Hunter and Ella even though they are totally different from one another. Hunter is super athletic and coordinated, and needs a place to channel his energy and talents, while Ella is a little on the more reserved side, and can sometimes be unsure of herself. But gymnastics has helped both of them and I love that they can do it together.

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

That is great! Like Brittany said, she did it for both her kids and they loved it! I think it is a great way for kids to learn how to move their bodies!

Tiffany said...

That is awesome!!!