Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Party

A couple of weeks ago, Alyssa came home with an invitation to a birthday part for her seat-mate on the school bus.

This little girl is in kindergarten but I think having her on the bus made Alyssa's transition to riding the bus smoother, so I emailed her mom to let her know we'd be there.

But the email bounced back to me, undelivered.

Ugh! That meant I'd have to pick up the stupid phone and actually talk to this woman.

Which, in the end, was a good thing because the day I finally managed to talk myself into calling, she and her daughter, the birthday girl, were on their way home from the doctor with a diagnosis of strep throat and a postponing of the birthday party.

She gave me the new date and time and I assured her we'd be there.

Except, I told her Alyssa would be there.

And on Saturday, Alyssa was there. Along with me and Olivia.

See, I'd planned to drop Alyssa off at the pavilion where the party was being held and then walk with Olivia the hundred or so yards down to the park and wait out the party.

But instead of that happening the gracious mother offered all three of us food and drink and cake.

And who am I do turn down cake? No one, that's who. We all three very much enjoyed our cake.

After food was eaten and presents were opened, all the kids and several moms headed to the park that O and I had intended to visit all along.

A good time was had by all.

This was the third invitation Alyssa has received in her first year at this school. And we've RSVP'd and attended each event. I decided when she received her first invitation that we need to reach out. We need to accept these things and attend so that we'll make our place in our new community.

Yes, I have a boatload of family around but there's more to most social lives than family.

And it's been good. The parents have all been very nice about me sticking around. They seem to understand that Alyssa's shy about being left and I'm neurotic about leaving her.

So there's that.

As we were leaving the party, I thanked the mom for letting me and Olivia stay. She was sweet. She said she was really glad I'd brought Olivia and wouldn't have had it any other way.

I like this place. I'm glad to be back and I think we're going to stick around.

2 comments:

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

Birthday are so fun and a great way to have both parents and kids socialize. I swear there is this huge epidemic of strep for children. There has been this huge break out here in UT and then I passed it along to my poor little nephew... I felt horrible about it, because actually I didn't have strep just a head cold... but apparently I was a carrier!! hahha ok I know you don't care about my story. hahah sorry! As long as your girls don't get it then I am happy!

I have been meaning to tell you about the head band. I can either make the 'I Heart You' head band or a new one I am going to try out... or both. If you want the 'I Heart You' for sure then I can make it right away, or if you want to wait then I can do the other one and you can choose. Just let me know what you think Olivia would want. I have tons of fabric so I really don't mind making both. The other one I am going to make I will make it in mind for O, so if you think she will like it I can send it off your way. You can also email me if you want to chat more about it. Haolepinos{@}gmail{.}com

Tiffany said...

Awesome! I'm so glad you called and went to the party and had a good time!