Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tasty

Olivia eats all the time.

Seriously. She's always hungry. No, really. Always.

Just the other day Tom mentioned that Olivia eats more than any other four year old he's ever met. Yes, he's actually met a few.

And she's actually got fairly sophisticated taste buds. She likes things that I, in my infinate maturity, refuse to even try, like shrimp and fried squash.

She will happily eat my hot and sour soup on the days I'm willing to share it rather than hoard it quietly in a corner, slurping madly and licking the bowl (me, not her.)

But we'll have dinner at 5:30 and not a half hour later, she's declaring she's hungry. And it's not that she's bored. When given food, she eats large quantities.

So we feed her. A lot.

I don't know about any other 5p- kids out there. Is this something that just comes with the syndrome? Or is it just my kid?

Alyssa? She's an evening eater. She'd go hours after getting up each morning before eating but once 4pm rolls around, she ravenous for hours, eating and eating and eating.

Sadly, Alyssa tends to prefer the food typical to her age group, such as macaroni and cheese, hotdogs, baby carrots, bologna and pickles.

Olivia likes her dads lentils and peas, fried potatoes and onions, meatloaf, oatmeal (ugh!!) and chili with lots of crackers.

Does a high tolerance for spicy foods come with a high tolerance for pain? Olivia has both so perhaps.

Alyssa has neither, so there's that.

These two little girls (one at 64 pounds and the other at 34 on a heavy day) eat like sixteen year old boys. Too bad neither of them can use the microwave like a sixteen year old boy. Wow, my life would be so much simpler if I could just say, "There are Hot Pockets in the freezer, go fix one for yourself."

4 comments:

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

Hahahah that is a lot to keep up with! I am actually getting hungry right now... Olivia is a great eater!! How lucky that she never struggled with that since I know CdC can cause it to be hard at times. Cute girls you have!

DeadBug said...

I think my Olivia could give your Olivia a run for her bottomless-pit money! We've gotten to the point where we have to limit how much we put on her plate and then try to distract her after meals so she doesn't go right back to the trough.

(Oh, and one of her current favorites? Arugula salad with blue cheese, strawberries and pecans. [???] What kind of barely-five-year-old likes arugula? It's just not right! I don't think I liked it till I was 30!)

Also, very glad to see your news from yesterday. "Normal" is sometimes the most exceptionally gratifying thing to hear.

Tiffany said...

There are days when I can't fill Olivia up...and then other days she eats nothing!!!

Anonymous said...

Sophie is still primarily on liquid but she loves food. She attacks anyone eating it's funny. Her feeding therapist tells me to prepare because when she finally learns to eat I will be in trouble, lol