Sunday, May 1, 2011

May

The first day of a new month can signify a new beginning. For us, it signifies the start of warmer weather. Yesterday, the last day of a perfectly hideous April was equally nasty. It was cold, windy and just dreadful. Alyssa had her second and third soccer games yesterday after almost three weeks of games and practices being cancelled due to rain and cold.

So yes, May brings hope to us all.

And as far as Tom is concerned, it's the start of new health. See, he's starting a new diet today. I know...

A couple of days ago he suggested to me that I be his trainer and nutritionist. I laughed.

See, who goes to a fat nutritionist and trainer? No one, that's who. Because that would be stupid. Someone who knows anything at all about nutrition and exercise wouldn't be fat. Right?

So after I laughed I told hime he's crazy.

Then we both laughed.

But deep down, I was/am hurt. I know he doesn't mean to do it.

But I also know that he's hoping that his own diet and exercise program will spur me into action. I know this. But even know it, I don't want to diet right now. I'm not inspired.

This morning after we were all up for about a half hour, he asked the girls if they were ready to start a new tradition. That traditions would be a morning jog.

I testily asked him if that meant we were going to start getting up at 4am each day so that we could get that morning jog in.

He got the hint.

Except, maybe not. Because a little while later he asked if I was going to try and meet him pound for pound in weight loss.

OMG!!! Really? Whatever!!

"Sure," I said a bit snarkily. "Except you have an unfair advantage. You can exercise anytime you want."

He gave me a confused look.

I pointed out, "You work here at home. You can exerise whenever you want. You don't punch a timecard, you don't have a boss accounting for your time. When we're gone you have the house to yourself, for hours at a time. I NEVER had that amount of time to do whatever I want."

And I don't. And it frustrates the hell out of me that he doesn't see that.

But I wish him well in his weight loss. I do. I want him to be healthy. I want that for him because he wants it for himself.

And I want to be healthy too. But right now...it's hard. And I'd rather have a honey bun than go for a jog. Because I can eat that honey bun either in the car, or at my desk. I can't go for a jog that easily. When I'm not at work, I'm at an activity for one of the girls. Or I'm here doing laundry or putting dishes away.

There aren't enough hours in the day right now. Someday? There will be. But right now? There just aren't.

But on the bright side, I finished painting the bathroom yesterday. One coat of primer, two coats of paint and it's done. Yes, I managed to finished before May. Go me.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Congrats on getting the bathroom painted! I totally know what you mean about not being inspired, the worst thing is to put effort into a new diet or program and not seeing results! That will make me uninspired in about 5 minutes!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

Yaahooo!!! You are already off to a great start for a great month!!

Tiffany said...

That would have hurt my feelings too.