Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Poor Tom

Last night Alyssa had a two-hour gymnastics class. It went from 6:00 to 8:00. She and I got home at 8:47. We were that late because we had to go through the drive-thru at Dairy Queen to get her chicken strips, ice cream and a blue raspberry Arctic Rush.

Olivia stayed home with Tom because, duh, classs until 8:00. I honestly thought she'd be asleep by the time we pulled in.

She wasn't.

She was fine, actually. That is until she heard my voice, at which point she burst into tears, threw herself into my arms and gripped my face between her two tiny palms, whimpering, "I missed you so much."

Tom rolled his eyes and said, "She was fine until you got here."

And I believe him. I believe that both girls are just fine with him until I arrive, at which point they realize they've been deprived of my presence for, well, EVER and suddenly the missing becomes too much.

A couple of weeks ago, Tom surprised me and the girls at my mom's during pickup. Alyssa glared at him and said, "What are YOU doing here?"

He just grinned at her and chased her around the room.

That was a Monday, but Alyssa's class was going to be the normal one-hour class, ending at a reasonable 7pm. So Olivia was going with us.

When she resisted putting on her shoes, I threatened, "If you don't cooperate, you're going to just go home with Daddy."

When did time with Daddy become a punishment? I felt awful immediately after I said it.

Tom just laughed and reiterated what I'd said.

I'm so lucky that he doesn't take the fact that our girls are such Mama's girls against me or them. I know, they're both just kids, but it's got to sting a little. But he just laughs it off and goes about his business.

I suppose, though, there is that perk of having all that time to himself each time I go somewhere and both kids want to go with me. Because staying home with Daddy when there's another option? Is not going to happen.

I almost feel sorry for him. Except...alone time. Hmmm, I wonder what that's like.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

You know what they say, " A fathers work is from sun to sun, but a mothers work is never done."
I find this to be so true!

Julie said...

Rick told Riley that she'd be riding with him to Kelly's this morning (that whole 2.5 minutes) because I had to leave early. She was ready in record time so that she could ride with me instead. Sometimes it is frustrating but I'd rather be on this side than daddy's.

Tiffany said...

It's so nice that they love you so much!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

hahahahaahh this cracks me up! I literally just had this exact same conversation with a girl friend yesterday. I love that they burst in to tears once you come in, like you have been gone FOREVER!!! That is so cute.