Friday, February 3, 2012

Life Coach

I had to sit through a webinar yesterday that discussed how our insurance company is going to help us all become healthier and happier.

Okay. One incentive is a possible $130 earned by doing a biometric screening and a personal health assessment, all through our health insurance. The biometric screening does a blood test which tells us our cholesterol, our glucose and some other numbers I don’t care about. I know.

After we do the screening and the PHA we have a chance to earn another $130 by participating in “Wellness” events.

Whatever. No big deal, any of this.

What got to me, what made my shoulders tense was the mention of life coaches or wellness coaches. See, when we’re taking the PHA online, we can check a box that says we’re interested in receiving health and wellness advice from a one to one wellness coach.

Ugh, the very thought makes me cringe.

When I told all this to Tom this morning, before I even told him my feelings about a life or wellness coach, he got this smile on his face, telling me without words that he thinks the idea of a wellness coach is a dandy one. I kind of wanted to smack him.

See, I know how to be healthy. Contrary to all physical evidence, I do. I know that moving more and eating less will make a person healthier than when they’re moving less and eating more.

It’s not about knowing what to do, it’s about being motivated to do it. And having some stranger call me at random times isn’t going to up my motivation.

In fact, during that whole webinar, I just wanted a cookie. That’s what happens when someone tries to tell me how to get healthy. I’m like a stubborn four year old who’s been told she can’t have something. Suddenly, that’s the very thing I want more than anything in this world.

I think Tom would be a great life/wellness coach for people who are not his wife. I already know that if I were to let him coach my life, his first edict would be to start me on a strict cardiovascular routine. See, told you I know how to be healthy. But do I want to?

Well, okay, yes, I guess I do. But right this second? I’m not so much motivated to put the effort into it.

And no, I’m not starting a cardiovascular routine at the behest of my husband anytime soon. And I’m sure as hell not picking up a single weight, no matter how hard he pushes and cajoles. He’s felt my guns. He knows I don’t need any freaking weight training. And yet…he persists.

Told you he’d be a good life/wellness coach for someone who is not his wife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would not be welcoming to that idea either. I too know what it takes to be healthier but was the busy life I have I don't want to take the little bit of downtime to "workout". I know exactly how you feel.