Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Potential

Tom and I talked a little more this morning about Olivia's school options for next year.

We're coming to a point of peace with whether she goes to kindergarten or preschool next year. We know that when it comes to her school, we have some options and it's up to us to make sure her needs are met in either classroom.

What we want most for Olivia is for her to be happy and challenged but not challenged to the point that she gets discouraged and gives up on the whole thing.

She's a stubborn girl. She's also vain. She wants to have fun and she doesn't like to do things that are hard for her. And yet...she's already proven in her five little years that she can do so much, even the hard stuff, if she works hard enough. We, Tom and I and her teachers, whomever they might be, have to figure out how to make the hard stuff fun so that she'll still want to do it even though it's hard.

Like tracing and cutting. She's come so far in just a few months with those things, things she didn't even want to attempt back in August.

We want Olivia to be happy. We want that for both of our girls. We want them to feel like they're contributing and making a difference. We want them to reach for their fullest potential and to KNOW they can reach it. We want them to dream and fight for their dreams.

So after a few tears last week, I'm getting to the point where I know that no matter which route Olivia's schooling takes, it's up to me to make sure she gets what she needs. I'm her mom, that makes me her greatest advocate. I'm lucky to have a strong partner at my side as we fight for our girls' rights, their dreams, their potential.

3 comments:

Konopik Family said...

As always I follow your posts. Abigail will be 5 in October so we miss the cut off for this year, and I have to say, I am happy that she will.

We just had her IEP and they are moving her from the special needs class, into the Pre-K inclusion class.

For us we know it is the right place for her, staying in the class she is in won't be enough of a challenge, but I wonder will the next room be too much. Only time will tell. But I am like you, I will make sure she is getting every thing she needs to progress.

When I read your posts, I find myself thinking Olivia and Abigail are so alike and they both have that stubborn streak, but are progressing so much.

They're put to prove all those Dr's wrong, and I am glad they are

Thank you for sharing what you are going through, it really helps

Victoria

Tiffany said...

Love this post...I'm sure Olivia knows you're behind her 100%!

julie said...

Sing it Sista!!